Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#953804  by Tadman

Obviously yesterday (7/20/11) was a day of temperature extremes, so this isn't a gripe. More of an observation.

All trains were running 30-45 late (per announcement) but more like 45-60 late. A conductor informed me it was sagging wire. I notice the further west the train went, the faster we moved, so I guess the new wire is holding up better.

Two of six cars had no AC, and the conductors told people to stay out unless we were full. Evidently NICTD likes to cut out cars with bad AC, but nothing was left to substitute.

Funny thing is, when we got to Kensington (45-50 minutes down) we sailed right through - amazing to sail thru even when you are on time.

Finally, around Hammond, a lady (totally serious) asked the conductor if we were going to make up the lost time. Uh, sure, we're 45-50 minutes down with 30 miles left and we're going to make up an hour. That's not physically possible... She then (totally serious) told the conductor in a school-teacher voice "well, we're going to be late for a play". Mmmmmkayyy... have the conductor put up the bat-signal so the playhouse knows to: a) crank up the A/C; b) wait for the late patrons...

Also, anybody know what the two lease geeps are doing behind the old shop? A blue GP38 and yellow GP38 with GMTX marks are parked back there nose-to-nose.
 #953938  by justalurker66

Some of the delays from yesterday ...

Due to the excessive heat, passengers should expect delays of up to 20 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you.
Updated at: 07/20/2011 08:58 AM

Due to the excessive heat passengers should expect delays of 30 to 40 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you.
East Bound South Shore train 9 is running 40 minutes late out of Carroll Ave., Michigan City, IN
Updated at: 07/20/2011 03:05 PM

Due to the excessive heat passengers should expect delays of 30 to 40 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Eastbound Train 109 is running 45-60 minutes late.
Eastbound Train 9 was 52 minutes late leaving Hudson Lake.
Updated at: 07/20/2011 03:55 PM

Due to the excessive heat passengers should expect delays of 20 to 30 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Train 109 is running 40-45 minutes late
Updated at: 07/20/2011 04:12 PM

Due to the excessive heat passengers should expect delays of 20 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Train 109 is running 40-45 minutes late
Updated at: 07/20/2011 04:33 PM

Due to the excessive heat passengers should expect delays of 10-15 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Westbound South Shore Train 20 scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 6:22 PM is running 30-35 minutes late due to a late turn of equipment and speed restrictions.
Updated at: 07/20/2011 05:22 PM

Due to the excessive heat passengers should expect delays of 10-15 minutes on NICTD and Metra. Please arrive at your station on time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Updated at: 07/20/2011 07:21 PM
Last-Modified: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 00:21:46 GMT

There are no significant delays at this time...
Last-Modified: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 03:10:59 GMT

and today ...

Because of excessive heat passengers should anticipate delays of 10-15 minutes. Please arrive at your departing station on time in the event delays are shorter than expected. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Updated at: 07/21/2011 01:08 PM

Because of excessive heat passengers should anticipate delays of 20-30 minutes. Please arrive at your departing station on time in the event delays are shorter than expected. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
West Bound South Shore Train 18 is running 35-40 minutes late due to excessive heat and passenger train interferance.
Updated at: 07/21/2011 02:02 PM

Because of excessive heat passengers should anticipate delays of 15-20 minutes. Please arrive at your departing station on time in the event delays are shorter than expected. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Updated at: 07/21/2011 02:52 PM
 #954028  by justalurker66

The constant tension project has improved the situation. The portion of tracks from 58.1 (Gary) west was completed a few years ago ... 58.1 to 32.2 has new wire (except the street running portion) but does not have the weights in place that keep the wire constant tension. 32.2 (Michigan City) to South Bend has old wire and is most sensitive to problems.

I have not listened the past couple of days but just over a week ago (July 10th) I heard NICTD give a heat speed restriction of 55 MPH from South Bend to Michigan City and 55 MPH over all switches from Michigan City to Gary. I believe this is a good reflection on the condition of the wire.

If you calculate how much copper expands in the heat and contracts in the cold there is quite a difference between the length of a span of wire on the coldest day vs the hottest day ... and this week has been pushing the hottest days.
 #954421  by Tadman

A few observations:

1. Wouldn't it be smart to run a shuttle train between MC and South Bend rather than messing up operations on the entire line because of antiquated copper out east?

2. I did notice that west of Metro Center we cooked along at 65-70, as opposed to the 45-50 we did on the ideal section.
 #954492  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote:A few observations:

1. Wouldn't it be smart to run a shuttle train between MC and South Bend rather than messing up operations on the entire line because of antiquated copper out east?
Adjustments can be made. If a train is extremely late from South Bend and equipment and crew is available I have heard NICTD start a second train at Shops on schedule and turn the late train into either the next train (if equipment was moved up) or an extra.

Where I have heard this the most was with 12 and 112. 112 originates in shops 26 minutes after 12 is supposed to depart. If 12 is late the equipment for 112 is advanced as "12" running on the normal schedule for 12 while South Bend's "12" follows 112's schedule.
 #954966  by PRRGuy

The speed restrictions are 55 mph across the whole system and 20 over trailing point switches (with overhead wire)

The 2 leaser geeps are at the shops because CSS is going to be getting CP coal trains off of the Belt Ry Of Chicago for the Mill at Bailly and they are going to need the extra horsepower, there is no run through power agreement, and if there was CP would have to put 4 axle power on them.

Ryan