Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#920249  by doepack

The South Chicago branch definitely won't win any awards in terms of scenery, since all of it is in an urban setting, but the South Shore station at 71st & South Shore drive is a pretty good spot. If you set up on the NW corner, you can get a good view of the southbound trains coming in from the west as they follow a slight curve into the depot; this is where the ROW begins to turn southeast from 71st St., and follows Exchange Ave. During midday, if you time it right (about :30 past the hour), you'll see the northbound train heading west towards downtown, followed about 15 min. by the southbound train...
 #920641  by Otto Vondrak

I followed the route in Google streetview, I am intrigued on how the line runs down the middle of the street on a median. Past that, I'm up for anything...
 #921035  by Pacific 2-3-1

I once had piano lessons on the second floor of a building that overlooked the tracks running down the middle of 71st Street, between "Bryn Mawr" and "South Shore" stations. It used to irritate my teacher that every time an electric train went by, I would jump up from the piano and run to the window to watch the train! And in those days, that was probably every ten minutes.
 #921287  by JamesT4

I use to live just 3 blocks west on Windsor Park Station on 75th St with my sister., and used it when I first started my current job, before I moved towards the suburbs, The area is kind of rough, but the area is improving, but just be on guard.
 #1116114  by stevegaarder

Back in the 1960s my grandmother lived in a 2nd floor apartment on that line. I used to enjoy watching the trains out the window. Since there was a full set of crossing gates at each intersection, you'd hear the bells clang in the distance, then get louder as the train neared each successive crossing. Then the train would go by, and the sound of the bells would slowly fade away.