Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#62432  by metra 613

Hello to all next time u want to go to Roundout and watch trains dont dont go anywere next to the tracks the metra cop will come and thell u to get out i was by the road crossing and no were by metras area and there told me to go and i bet if i was up top watching to there will tell me to get out of there so dont railfan there anymore
Last edited by metra 613 on Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#62453  by MikeF

The view from the North Shore Line bridge is better than from track-level, anyway, and since it is a public bike path, Metra can't hassle you.

It's "Rondout," by the way.

#62496  by metra 613

From what someone told me metra doesnt want no one to take photos of there trains any more so who know whats up with that

#62500  by Scotty Burkhardt

you can thank our government for all the security crap and the muslim fundamentalists for being jerkoffs. fact of the matter is that these security rules and restictions are going to do no good should a terrorist want to attack us. if they want to make madrid in chicago theyre going to, theyre willing and have died for it. it would be ignorant of me to say we dont need security but sending threats of arrest for photographing trains in an open and legit spot....when has it gone to far? not to be rude but the cop was probably bored, if i were a metra cop in the rural north burbs, well id be bored too.

#62513  by metraRI

I railfan along RI all the time and I have never been told to stop filming/taking pics by Metra. The village police drive past me all the time, they also don't seem to mind too much.

#62522  by JamesT4

Since all this terroist things happen. Railroad, and local cops are watching everybody. I been on every metra line almost, including at roundout, and I was never told not once to move away from the tracks.

There are some times that the police may look at me, but they never say nothing.

Cops are making sure that the tracks, and the trains are safe, and that no one is trying to mess around, and do damage on the railroads.

#62631  by byte

This reminds me of something funny that happened over the weekend (not exactly Metra related, though). I was on the Chicago-L.org station architecture tour, and Graham Garfield, the guy who runs the website and was giving the tour was telling the tour group (which was looking at the station house at LaSalle/Van Buren southward, from the entrance to the Board of Trade's parking garage) facts about that station, when these two suits from the board of trade walk up and start asking questions about us taking pictures. Now, Graham is a planner for the CTA, and it was *priceless* to hear him say "Look, I work for the authority, and they can take pictures!" Then the suits revised their request, this time it was just that we couldn't take pictures of the board of trade. So then Graham says out loud in a semi-sarcastic way "Okay, nobody take pictures of the Board of Trade!" Then the suits walk off. I'm definitely going on more of those architecture tours because Graham is hilarious. (last year he spoke the "*bing-bong* - Doors closing" announcement over the train's intercom, causing everyone on it to crack up.)
 #62813  by Kangaroo of 72

One time I got "busted" in Elkins, WV, for drawing a map of the yard. The guy came over, looked at what I had, and -- much to my relief -- started correcting me! "No, no, that's not the main. THIS is the main", etc.

So, instead of getting nailed for trespassing, I came home with a more accurate diagram. : )

Whew!

#63057  by BUBA Dispatcher

Our beloved government can take my camera out of my cold, dead fingers before I ever stop taking pictures of what I want, when I want, while on public property.

Although it is hard not to be politically slanted while on this dicey subject, allow me to remind any and all naysayers that this country was attacked via PLANE, not train, and if anyone feels that stripping our republic of any more liberties will make it a safer, "more secure" place should consider abandoning the current party of their choice and join the Communist party.

"He who is willing to give up a little liberty for the promise of security deserves neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Keep your cameras rolling!

Thank you,
Brian
 #63588  by Kangaroo of 72

not to be rude but the cop was probably bored
Yeah, I'll bet this hits the nail on the head. There's a buncha a**hole cops in Lake County, and it's probably for this very reason!

Plus, Lake County as a whole seems to have this stifling, "no, you can't do that" attitude about EVERYTHING! -- at least, everything not related to "workin' for the Man every night & day."

#63660  by CNW4404

pleasant prairie WI (20 miles north of rondout) cops arent usually that nice either....but theres always exceptions
 #63849  by Kangaroo of 72

Although it is hard not to be politically slanted while on this dicey subject, allow me to remind any and all naysayers that this country was attacked via PLANE, not train, and if anyone feels that stripping our republic of any more liberties will make it a safer, "more secure" place should consider abandoning the current party of their choice and join the Communist party.
The FBI had substantial evidence to suggest that Cat Stevens planned to sabotage the junction at Rondout, disrupting both MILW-N and Hiawatha service, and that's why he had to be sent back to Britain.

It's further likely that "metra 613" has either bought a Cat Stevens album in the past, or else knows someone who did, and that's why he was asked to leave.

#63892  by AmtrakFan

I've never been asked to leave any where.

AmtrakFan

#64778  by Tony T.

I remember back in the '80's, when the passenger platforms were still mostly there, Rondout was one of the best places to spend a day, drive right up and park next the tracks, tower and all. Always felt comfortable there. The only exception was when a gentleman came down from the tower to warn us about standing too close around the diamonds should a brake shoe come off a freight doing track speed. And he was even nice about it!

Last time I was there (this summer), parked in my 'normal' place, watched the J's crew work on the diamonds, still no objection. 'Course the new signage was an unwelcome sight...that was enough to make me feel uncomfortable so we didn't linger.

Does this mean we can't hang out at Lake Bluff and watch the old Northwestern too!?!

TT
 #64808  by Kangaroo of 72

Tony:
Does this mean we can't hang out at Lake Bluff and watch the old Northwestern too!?!
Where did/do you hang out at in Lake Bluff? Do you watch the S-curve freight split-off (to Lake Forest) from Metra's UP-N main?