Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#607378  by EJ&ESDM809

The LaVergne depot is undergoing a major remodeling, here it what it looked like today. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1407375

It looks like the shelter on the south side will be demolished, the one on the north side has already been demolished. They have a little bit of the new platform on the south side in and it is much more modern looking.
 #611460  by metraRI

Although not construction, the automated announcements announcing train arrivals have made their way to the Rock Island. These also include a woman voice announcing track assignments to inbound and outbound trains.
 #611834  by doepack

That project's been on the drawing board for a few years now, it's nice to finally see that it's going to happen. Now if they can just do something about Maywood, which is little more than a slab of crumbling asphalt masquerading as a train station...
 #620711  by metraRI

Greshams interlocking makeover seems to have finally started. A new mainline interlocking has been installed north of the station, not sure if this is signaled yet. Its also too early to tell if there will be a new branch alignment, it looks like there will be a third track through the station. On the south end of the station, main #1's stub end has been re-ballasted so my guess this will become a through track once again.

On another note, both old mainline tracks have been removed around 35th Street to make room for that new 35th Street station.... I think. No construction has taken place in the area yet.
 #620738  by byte

Oh, that's great... I thought that station was to be ready for the 2009 White Sox season?
 #620789  by doepack

metraRI wrote:Greshams interlocking makeover seems to have finally started. A new mainline interlocking has been installed north of the station, not sure if this is signaled yet. Its also too early to tell if there will be a new branch alignment, it looks like there will be a third track through the station. On the south end of the station, main #1's stub end has been re-ballasted so my guess this will become a through track once again.

On another note, both old mainline tracks have been removed around 35th Street to make room for that new 35th Street station.... I think. No construction has taken place in the area yet.
Interesting... nice to see one of the old mains restored, hopefully it'll allow higher speeds for expresses. Curious as to why the trackage to Beverly would be re-aligned; are they going to straighten it a little? The curvature there is a bit tight...

I also wonder if the new Sox Park station will have island or side platforms...
 #620815  by metraRI

doepack wrote:Interesting... nice to see one of the old mains restored, hopefully it'll allow higher speeds for expresses. Curious as to why the trackage to Beverly would be re-aligned; are they going to straighten it a little? The curvature there is a bit tight...
The biggest hassle to the current set up at Gresham is a pesky puzzle switch, where the limit is 10mph. If any reconfiguration were to take place, that is the first thing I would get rid of.. but of course I'm not Metra. I don't know too much about the specifics on the project, but I'm sure it will be nice when its complete.
I also wonder if the new Sox Park station will have island or side platforms...
http://www.infrastructure-eng.com/site/ ... 08_709.htm
http://bp2.blogger.com/_SCfwBkF65oY/R_p ... tation.jpg
 #632204  by metraRI

Something interesting... With the construction of the new Roosevelt Road station over on MED, Metra decided to officially change the name to 'Museum Campus/11th St'.
 #637812  by metraRI

Interesting that they continue to mention that the 35th Street station needs funding, I thought this had already received funds.. Might explain why construction has yet to start. Also worth noting, in the current edition of OTBL Metra says they have started the bidding process for replacement highliners as well as 10 new locomotives and 50 new bilevels, even tho Metra has no funding for any of it. Will be interesting to see what happens with that, and if funding is in fact received, what locomotives Metra would get. MPI has been the only recent manufacturer of passenger locomotives.
 #637904  by MetraBNSF

Another project slated to take place along the UP-W...

Metra to add '2nd train' warnings
West line upgrade aims to make track crossings safer

By Richard Wronski | Tribune reporter
February 14, 2009

In an effort to make commuter stations safer, Metra will soon begin installing flashing signs that alert people when more than one train is passing.

The so-called second-train signals are intended to warn people who wait for one train to pass before crossing the tracks but fail to notice another approaching train, Metra officials said Friday.

Metra plans to start installing the signs as part of a $112 million upgrade of its Union Pacific West line, scheduled to begin in March. The line carries 30,000 passengers a day and runs 60 Metra and 60 freight trains daily.

The rest of the article can be read here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 3912.story