Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#397600  by F40CFan

On a humorous note;

Wednesday evening (5/9/2007), train 2227 was delayed by a broken crossing gate in Chicago and grade crossing construction in Franklin Park.

Someone must have pushed the wrong button because after we left Franklin Park, Mr. Satellite announced;
"This train is running approximately 6 minutes late due to theweather".

It was partly sunny and 78-80.
Last edited by F40CFan on Fri May 11, 2007 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#397813  by EricL

Not to derail, but what's going on at Franklin Park? Are they finally doing something that will lift that 30 restriction?

#397867  by doepack

EricL wrote:Not to derail, but what's going on at Franklin Park? Are they finally doing something that will lift that 30 restriction?
I think it's part of the final phase of the IHB/CN track realignment project, which somewhat modified IHB's entry into the east end of Bensenville yard...

#398105  by EricL

Oops. I got "Elmwood Park" mixed up with "Franklin Park" in my head, anyway.

#398633  by F40CFan

Nope, we still crawl through the Grand Ave. crossing.

#419034  by F40CFan

Another humorous note;

Took the 3:25 on 7/3/2007 which runs express from CUS to Bensenville.

Mr. Satellite called out every station including Mannheim. If that wasn't enough, he threw in Hermosa and Cragin for good measure.

It made a great impression on the occasional and first-time riders as they looked around in confusion, not sure where they were or what train they were on.

#419080  by metrarider

F40CFan wrote:Another humorous note;

Mr. Satellite called out every station including Mannheim. If that wasn't enough, he threw in Hermosa and Cragin for good measure.

It made a great impression on the occasional and first-time riders as they looked around in confusion, not sure where they were or what train they were on.
did the gps sytem call out the correct train #? If so the central database for that train must be messed. If not, then it's operator error entering the incorrect train # for the run it was used on

If it's #1, I'd raise it with Metra so they can fix it - otherwise they may not know if the train crew isn't inclined to report the error

Also, might not be a bad idea to raise it with the Conducter - might spur them into action to go to the input keypad and put in the correct train # and avoid any further confusion (if indeed it's the wrong train # causing the problem). Alternatively, they should disable the system and call manually

#419081  by F40CFan

It has to be a data base error as there was never any regularly scheduled train that stopped at Hermosa, Cicero/Grand and Cragin as they were not open at the same time.

#419288  by doepack

metrarider wrote:
F40CFan wrote:Another humorous note;

did the gps sytem call out the correct train #? If so the central database for that train must be messed. If not, then it's operator error entering the incorrect train # for the run it was used on

If it's #1, I'd raise it with Metra so they can fix it - otherwise they may not know if the train crew isn't inclined to report the error

Also, might not be a bad idea to raise it with the Conducter - might spur them into action to go to the input keypad and put in the correct train # and avoid any further confusion (if indeed it's the wrong train # causing the problem). Alternatively, they should disable the system and call manually
It's obviously too late to fix it now, since the train it occured on was a special, and as such, not part of the regular schedule; although it's likely similar glitches occured on other trains (yeah, and I had blindly hoped these special announcements were system-wide; but after hearing about this, guess I better be careful what I wish for...). Anyway, perhaps Metra should actually test these special announcements for accuracy first, before entering it into the database; otherwise, the confused impression that is left on the casual/first time users of the system will likely make them think twice before riding Metra again...

#419433  by F40CFan

Actually, the 3:25 could be considered a "regularly scheduled" holiday train as it has run on the same schedule for as long as I can remember. This time it even had a regular train number, 2427, instead of the old MWX-3.

#426717  by MetraBNSF

On a recent Saturday evening Metra/BNSF train into the city, after departing Berwyn, the GeoFocus announces "the next stop will be Clyde...now approaching Clyde". As we zoomed by what was formerly known as Clyde, its nothing but a distant memory.

#433469  by F40CFan

Well on Milw West 2226 this morning (08/13/2007), it decided to repeat each announcement, all the way in. On the longer announcements, such as the "see something, say something" one, it stepped all over itself so you couldn't understand anything.

#433884  by F40CFan

It had a real bad day yesterday (8/13). On 2227 on the way home, it repeated the "emergency window" announcement at LEAST 10 times. Some people were actually starting to laugh at the stupid thing.

#437976  by NebraskaZephyr

F40CFan wrote:Well on Milw West 2226 this morning (08/13/2007), it decided to repeat each announcement, all the way in. On the longer announcements, such as the "see something, say something" one, it stepped all over itself so you couldn't understand anything.
99% of the time, multiple announcements are due to having the GeoFocus enabled on more than one cab car in the train (only the cab cars carry the GeoFocus equipment).

Since the announcement triggers at an exact set of GPS coordinates, there would be a delay between the two announcements that corresponded to the distance between the two GeoFocus units in the consist and the train speed.

Depending on the "lag" between announcements, you can estimate how far back in the train the second cab car with the activated GeoFocus is.

Now if they could get the units synched to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in round style, that would at least be entertaining....

NZ

#438414  by doepack

NebraskaZephyr wrote:
F40CFan wrote:Well on Milw West 2226 this morning (08/13/2007), it decided to repeat each announcement, all the way in. On the longer announcements, such as the "see something, say something" one, it stepped all over itself so you couldn't understand anything.
99% of the time, multiple announcements are due to having the GeoFocus enabled on more than one cab car in the train (only the cab cars carry the GeoFocus equipment).

Since the announcement triggers at an exact set of GPS coordinates, there would be a delay between the two announcements that corresponded to the distance between the two GeoFocus units in the consist and the train speed.

Depending on the "lag" between announcements, you can estimate how far back in the train the second cab car with the activated GeoFocus is.

Now if they could get the units synched to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in round style, that would at least be entertaining....

NZ
Interesting observation, since many trains on Milw/NCS frequently run with at least 1 extra cab in the consist, particularly on 7-car sets. I wonder then, if conductors sometimes forget to turn off GeoFocus on the lead cab of certain inbound 4 car trains that pick up additional equipment at the terminal...