Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1532353  by Tadman

BNSF's western suburbs are usually pretty good for watching trains. Friendly people and police make it nicer. My sister lives out there and her 3yo daughter is becoming a bit of a Metra fan, it's quite amusing.

I also had one of the greatest catches of my time watching trains out there. In the leadup to Streamliners at Spencer, I caught NKP 190 behind the power on a BN freight train. I was eating lunch with a friend and had no idea it was about to happen, and she cruised on by. I was in a state of shock.
 #1532512  by J.D. Lang

Yes I'm looking forward to getting out to the burbs to watch some rail action and finding a good place for lunch. I really do appreciate that Metra recognizes the railfanning hobby and will respect a responsible railfan. Can't wait for my trip.
 #1532786  by Tadman

A bit of a clarification here - I feel the suburban police are decent to deal with, and the Chicago city police are too busy with real problems. Metra police, on the other hand, are not quite as easy to deal with. I'm not saying they're going to take you to jail tomorrow or pick a fight, but they're the least friendly of the bunch.
 #1561743  by mcgrath618

Hey guys, I just moved to Chicago for a few months from Philly. Pretty inexperienced with the area; I've been to the Racetrack a few times, and I've caught those CN Deathstars.

Where would some good places be to go that are easily accessible from Loyola? Some highlights of the general area, that are worth going to even if it's not easy?
 #1561796  by doepack

If you're at Loyola's north side campus, Howard Street is only a 5 min. ride away on the Red Line. From there, you can hit Evanston via the Purple line shuttle, or head to/from Skokie on the Yellow line, which offers a ride past CTA's shops.

For heavier main line action, this site has some pretty good suggestions. Just map it out and go...