Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1545280  by CraigDK

I did not see a specific thread for the South Shore Line's Double Track Project. This project has been moving forward and according to the website has begun acquiring property. The demolition contract is scheduled to be awarded later this year and construction should begin in 2021.

For some background there are two related threads:
The previous studies of the portion of the route through Michigan City that is included in this project
And, the history and relative lack of double track on the South Shore

The South Shore's web page for the project: https://www.doubletrack-nwi.com/

On June 10th they conducted a virtual public open house for the project. The power point for the open house can be found here. They also have a recording of the presentation (they require an email address for that) on their site.

Of interest are some of the renderings of the various station improvements and the rather detailed (but still tentative) schedule. The rest of the information presented should not be much of a surprise as it follows the previously published Environmental Assessment.
 #1560679  by CraigDK

Yesterday the Full Funding Agreement (FFGA) was signed by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (NICTD).

https://www.transit.dot.gov/about/news/ ... ent-double

https://www.mysouthshoreline.com/news/i ... ck-project

Real estate acquisition began last year, and now construction procurement can begin. The project website does not give an exact date, but it looks like construction will begin in the second half of 2021. It also suggest that the project should be complete in 2024.
 #1560686  by justalurker66

The project is split in to three parts with bids due in April (one part has bids due at the end of March). NICTD should be able to accept the bids and move forward. The ground clearing should be easy to start and possibly complete by the end of the year. With utility relocations, bridges, realignments ... there is a lot to accomplish. It is good to see the green light given.
 #1569052  by justalurker66

I am surprised that it is closing so early in the process. I figured it would stay open until they were ready to close the street for track construction. But building the new parking structure on the site of the current lot will take a couple of years.
 #1569727  by justalurker66

A few people out Sunday catching street running stops at Michigan City 11th St. Only a few days left until trains only stop for the traffic light westbound (unless they rewire the sensors). Currently westbound trains don't trigger the light until a few feet away from the intersection (a thick yellow line is painted for reference). The platform protection traffic light is triggered by another sensing block near Pine St.

Several houses along 11th St and 10th St have the NICTD no trespassing signs and are boarded up. There are a few that do not. It is just a matter of time until the land is cleared and work begins.

Out west of Michigan City to Gary NICTD's contractor is working on moving the high voltage lines along the ROW. This includes moving the high voltage to the south side of US 12 where it passes the Ogden Dunes station.
 #1569886  by CraigDK

justalurker66 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm A few people out Sunday catching street running stops at Michigan City 11th St. Only a few days left until trains only stop for the traffic light westbound (unless they rewire the sensors). Currently westbound trains don't trigger the light until a few feet away from the intersection (a thick yellow line is painted for reference). The platform protection traffic light is triggered by another sensing block near Pine St.

Several houses along 11th St and 10th St have the NICTD no trespassing signs and are boarded up. There are a few that do not. It is just a matter of time until the land is cleared and work begins.

Out west of Michigan City to Gary NICTD's contractor is working on moving the high voltage lines along the ROW. This includes moving the high voltage to the south side of US 12 where it passes the Ogden Dunes station.
Thanks for the update on the ground. It should be interesting watching the progress.
 #1570445  by doepack

Thanks for documenting this, and good to see the event attracting a fair number of railfans. End of an era...
 #1570531  by west point

What surprises this poster is every car had 2 PANS and one each up. As well the electric service appears more in line with a single street car source looking at the single trolley wire and power supplied with the standard source of power for a streetcar.
 #1570559  by justalurker66

The South Shore uses trolley wire for the street running segment. They have constant tension compound cantenary where there is not street running.

The trailers only have one pan and it is up regardless of direction of travel. The motorized cars have two pans with one pan up in the direction of travel. (Trailers do not have motorized trucks. They also do not have restrooms or center doors and fill out that space inside with seats.)
 #1570742  by CraigDK

Bids for the main construction contract for the Double Track project have come in higher than anticipated.

NWI "Double Track construction bids come in higher than expected; review underway"

Only two bids for the main construction package were received, four were expected. The contracts for the new stations at 11th Street in Michigan City and Miller Station in Gary were approved at the same meeting.
 #1570794  by west point

It may be one reason for higher bids is the cost of steel > Price of #5 - 9 rebar has jumped to over $1000 + a ton.
EDIT ---- BTW that number is way low. My concrete guy told me that figure in late December.
 #1570817  by CraigDK

I am sure that is part of it. I know lumber prices have jumped significantly too, so has fuel. I am not sure if rebidding the contract, which seems to be a possibility, would result in much of a change.

It is probably in the EIS, but I wonder how much of a jump it was. If you add the other contract award prices (that are not mentioned as being higher than expected) with the low bid for the main contract, it is still below the overall estimated/funded amount. That amount would contain a certain amount for contingencies. The other cost is real estate. I would assume they have acquired most, if not all of the parcels needed by now. Based on real estate prices in general, that too may have been more than anticipated.