Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1415589  by John_Perkowski

I don't know if this is Metra or Class 1 trackage, but the MOW gangs are certainly trying to keep the interlockings open... Wonder how many bolts popped from contraction?

Burn, Baby, Burn!
 #1415640  by ExCon90

What are the flames supposed to be heating? I don't see any switchpoints or movable frogs, and the opposite rail is not being heated, as would be the case with a switch.
 #1415683  by dinwitty

ExCon90 wrote:What are the flames supposed to be heating? I don't see any switchpoints or movable frogs, and the opposite rail is not being heated, as would be the case with a switch.
could be a joint at a signal point, power connection.
 #1415933  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

From the posted photo and referral to "Railfan's Guide to Chicago" this looks to be Mayfair
Interlocking which is adjacent to the Kennedy Expressway near Cicero and Montrose Avenues
on Chicago's NW side. Two METRA routes cross here - the Milwaukee District North and UP's NW
(former C&NW) Line. The tip off is the angle, number of tracks and the bridge over North Cicero
Avenue that tracks at the diamonds cross directly at...

MACTRAXX