Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1286773  by MattW

justalurker66 wrote:
dowlingm wrote:Metrolinx will be adding centre cars but I guess they wanted to get testing started without waiting for those.
It looks like the "C" cars were ordered a few months later. It is good to see that they are interoperable and do not need to be between other cars.
I know this is a little off topic, but do the C cars have engines? Or are they just trailers? I figure they don't have cabs.
 #1286863  by justalurker66

TrainManUPRR wrote:The C cars do have an engine. They also will have a small cab on one half of the car- think CTA cars.
Correct! I was trying to find a good reference but the best I could find was a SMART document from October 2010 ("SMART DMU Vehicle Procurement
Recommendation for Award of Contract to Sumitomo Corporation of America" - apparently no longer on their website). The end of the document had diagrams showing 79 passenger "A" and "B" cars ("A" with restroom, "B" cars with service bar) and 83 passenger "C" cars with a cab similar to the South Shore single level cars but with no side doors.

The Toronto UPE cars are only 60 passenger (more luggage space) and only "A" and "C".
 #1287980  by Milwaukee_F40C

RTA proposed using DMUs on the STAR line, although between funding and CN's likely objections, it is most likely wishful thinking. I didn't see anyone mention the proposed South East line, but RTA concepts for that also suggested the possibility of using DMUs. However, that line is also of questionable need, but probably more likely to happen than the STAR line.

Nippon-Sharyo has its own test track in Rochelle and personnel that shake down every car before it gets delivered.
 #1287995  by justalurker66

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Nippon-Sharyo has its own test track in Rochelle and personnel that shake down every car before it gets delivered.
3500ft? It must have been nice to get the Toronto vehicles up to speed on the RI track without immediately needing to stop.
 #1288089  by justalurker66

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Well, most of the important testing is probably stationary. Like checking brake travel and circuit functions.
I agree ... critical testing can be done on site. But it seems like one is only able to drive a car on the dealer's lot before shipping it 600 miles away to see what it really can do on the road. Getting it out on the RI allowed Nippon to get a little road testing in that isn't available on a short track. And if something goes wrong 80 miles back to the factory is not a long trip.

Has Sonoma received any of their DMUs?
 #1291447  by Thunder

Well something id go wrong. One died ;) Way to go UP boy!!!!! SES BTW is closer to a reality than the STAR line ever will be. Its Route will cause some issues with capacity at Lasalle and 47th street ( if we get the Southwest coming over as well) so who knows how or when that will all happen.
 #1291672  by Tadman

Worth noting - I drove past the plant last weekend and there's another DMU set parked out back with a blue tarp/wrap around it.
 #1291694  by Thunder

Have to ask the UP Trainman ;) he broke it. I think it was a software issue. Cant recall which one didnt want to run when we sent them to the harbor.
 #1291728  by MisterUptempo

dowlingm wrote:Thunder: can you be more specific about what happened with the DMU?
If I may be permitted, from the Amtrak Unlimited forum, a quote from user MetraUPWest regarding the DMU testing...
The UPE DMUs were impressive when they were working properly, but all 3 days the transmissions were giving us problems- not shifting into gear when moving from a stop, as well as dropping out of gear when moving. It's FAR too complicated of a system if you ask me.