Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1202554  by njtmnrrbuff

Hey Guys,
Have the new gallery cars been operating all the way to South Bend Airport? During Labor Day weekend, I plan to ride the South Shore all the way to South Bend. I also would like to railfan at various stations along the route. Which are the best stations to do so. I will not have any access to a car. Thanks.
 #1203383  by justalurker66

I have not done the walk from Amtrak to there ... but the neighborhood seems fine. Only a couple of shootings over the past few years.

I'd stay on the road on the south side of the neighborhood to get to Westmoor/Bendix. It might be a long walk for one shot at a train (there are few opportunities to get two trains).
 #1291280  by dinwitty

borrowing from another thread...
As far as the gallery car schedules, I know they are run on Trains 116, 109, and 211, not sure about other schedules.
that was a few years ago, assignments can change, but I would expect them on some of the rush hour runs.