Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1146686  by wilmette2008

Good afternoon today my train on the UP Northline was delayed due to signal problems. This was due to the computer system that controls the signals beeing down and it caused delays on UP's entire system. Alot of passengers wondered why there wasen't a back up system in place, so my questions are what would your idea of a back system be and why there isn't one in place thank you.
 #1146723  by amtrakhogger

A simple backup would be to have signal maintainers staff each interlocking via local control until the system comes back up. But that would only be practical if enough manpower was available and you still need to communicate with the dispatcher to coordinate movements.
 #1146759  by doepack

wilmette2008 wrote:Good afternoon today my train on the UP Northline was delayed due to signal problems. This was due to the computer system that controls the signals beeing down and it caused delays on UP's entire system. Alot of passengers wondered why there wasen't a back up system in place, so my questions are what would your idea of a back system be and why there isn't one in place thank you.
What time did this occur? Are you sure it wasn't an isolated incident to just the North line? I live by UP/W, my radio's been on most of the day, and I don't recall dispatchers giving flagging instructions to any traffic due to red or dark signals at interlockings...