Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#94027  by Kangaroo of 72

Does anyone know how commuter trains were turned around before the first cab cars were introduced (CNW?) ?

I'd imagine that the CUS trains used the current BNSF tracks as a wye, but that's just a WAG.

Was there any sort of wye between the current UP-W line & UP-N / UP-NW?

#94053  by c604.

I think some of the C&NW steamers assigned to suburban service (R-1's?) had headlights and full pilots on the rear of their tenders to enable a quick run around of their train at the end of the line. I'm almost 99% positive I heard Harvard had a turntable at one time also. From looking at track charts from about ten years ago; Kenosha had a wye, Waukegan had a turntable, Crystal Lake had a wye, and the Chicago locomotive shop had a turntable. Again, that was from about ten years ago so who knows what was there fifty to one hundred years earilier.
Hope that helps a bit.

#94398  by bones

At Elgin they used to turn steam, and GP9's on the turntable. At CUS they would shove the train to Western Ave. and turn the engines there.

At Fox Lake they had a wye for turning engines.

#94466  by Joe

There used to be a roundhouse and turntable a block from my house, here in Downers Grove. According to the book, "Downers Grove Revisited:"
"Approximately have the trains were turned here, and the other half went on to Aurora."

Also said that the last time they used the roundhouse and turntable was the last day for steam on the CB&Q commuter trains. That's when they got the new bilevels and cabcars, and I guess some F or E units.
Last edited by Joe on Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#94484  by Kangaroo of 72

Also said that the last time they used the roundhouse and turntable was the last day for steam on the CB&Q. That's when they got the new bilevels and cabcars, and I guess some F or E units.
That's kind of a radical transition!

#94485  by Kangaroo of 72

Waukegan had a turntable
Yeah, ok, that makes sense. I always wondered why Waukegan had a turntable.

#94791  by MikeF

Joe wrote:Also said that the last time they used the roundhouse and turntable was the last day for steam on the CB&Q commuter trains. That's when they got the new bilevels and cabcars, and I guess some F or E units.
Not quite. At the time the CB&Q commuter service was dieselized, cab cars were not yet being used. The E units pulled gallery coaches and had to be turned at the terminals. The first cab cars on the Burlington showed up in the early '70s.

#94819  by arnstg

Dug around and found an old copy of "Car Names Numbers & Consists" edited by Robert J. Wayner in 1972.

He states that Cab Control cars 790-795 arrived in May-June 1965 for the CB&Q.

#94828  by MikeF

arnstg wrote: He states that Cab Control cars 790-795 arrived in May-June 1965 for the CB&Q.
My mistake. Regardless, there was a period during which the coaches were used without cab cars.

#94831  by MetraBNSF

MikeF wrote:My mistake. Regardless, there was a period during which the coaches were used without cab cars.
Ironically enough, a situation like this happened tonight on a BNSF train where the rear car wasn't a cab car. But, something must have gone wrong with the cab car. 799 is the car in question. See my post in Locomotive Assignment Changes for more.
 #95094  by Kangaroo of 72

But, something must have gone wrong with the cab car.
It fell off? :-D

#95138  by AmtrakFan

How did the RI turn their trains?

John