Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1089182  by Passenger

Here another one (Google maps link)

That is a spur off UP-NW just west of Gladstone Park to a company called Pollard Bros.

The fenced off part (presumably on company property) of the spur where freight would be received in overgrown and obviously unused for a long time.

But the switch and the track leading up to the fence are in good condition. I have seen this from the ground where those cars are parked and not just from the train.

Anyone know anything about this site?

Does it cost less to maintain than to dismantle?

Thanks.
 #1089452  by SlowFreight

It was a whipped honey plant that apparently got tank cars of corn syrup. The spur was only kept for a MOW project, and sometimes it's just convenient to keep the occasional odd spur like that. Otherwise, 99% of the old spurs have been removed from this line as soon as the customer goes away.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7547061@N02/5398878455/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7547061@N02/2697021084/
 #1354003  by Passenger

Passenger wrote:Here another one (Google maps link)

That is a spur off UP-NW just west of Gladstone Park to a company called Pollard Bros.

The fenced off part (presumably on company property) of the spur where freight would be received in overgrown and obviously unused for a long time.

But the switch and the track leading up to the fence are in good condition. I have seen this from the ground where those cars are parked and not just from the train.

Anyone know anything about this site?

Does it cost less to maintain than to dismantle?

Thanks.
Update:
The spur is being dismantled this week.

As of yesterday, the rails have been taken up between the switch and the overgrown portion on private property. The ties and switch were still there, but I expect will be coming out soon.