Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1553668  by orangeline

I was on the CTA site and saw a change in service notice that between midnight and 4:00 am no passengers were permitted to board Blue Line trains at O'Hare. Riders have to take a bus to Rosemont in order to board the trains during these hours. BUT, passengers CAN ride the Blue line from Rosemont to O'Hare between midnight and 4:00 am. It makes no sense to me that you can ride the train to the airport, but not from. What gives?
 #1553716  by doepack

CTA says that this will allow more car cleaning, though I am left to wonder like yourself on the logistics of such when service still runs in one direction.

Looks like the overnight operators will have to ride the shuttle bus too, so he/she can fire it up inbound from Rosemont...
 #1553748  by orangeline

I wonder if CTA's allowing passengers to ride to O'Hare in order to get that $5.00/passenger surcharge going to the airport. Seems like a petty reason, but if they can squeeze extra $$ from the riding public, then why not? I don't know what it costs to bus people from ORD to Rosemont, but maybe it isn't that much.
 #1553749  by justalurker66

orangeline wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:07 am I wonder if CTA's allowing passengers to ride to O'Hare in order to get that $5.00/passenger surcharge going to the airport. Seems like a petty reason, but if they can squeeze extra $$ from the riding public, then why not? I don't know what it costs to bus people from ORD to Rosemont, but maybe it isn't that much.
The surcharge is charged when traveling from O'Hare -
'L' train fare from O'Hare
Deducted on entry at O'Hare station, only, from Ventra transit account using Ventra Card or via contactless Pay-As-You-Go payment methods.

https://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

My guess is that it is easier to lock the entries at O'Hare than to clear the train at Rosemont.
 #1553787  by JamesT4

orangeline wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:41 am I was on the CTA site and saw a change in service notice that between midnight and 4:00 am no passengers were permitted to board Blue Line trains at O'Hare. Riders have to take a bus to Rosemont in order to board the trains during these hours. BUT, passengers CAN ride the Blue line from Rosemont to O'Hare between midnight and 4:00 am. It makes no sense to me that you can ride the train to the airport, but not from. What gives?
The cleaning of the trains is one thing but another reason is that started on July 31st that O'Hare and Midway "is now" closed to the general public between 10pm and 4am unless your an badged employee or passenger or have legitimate business to be there basically and from the email i got its permanent. I don't know if it's enforced or not but there suppose to be checkpoints at the cta stations at both O'Hare and Midway Stations during those times listed.

That same night is when the CTA blue line went to drop off at O'Hare only and shuttle bus from the bus shuttle center to Rosemont between midnight and 4am. Can not do the same at Midway because of the Bus terminal and park & ride there.

I work at O'Hare and for one of the airlines there and it was sent in our internal email from our Managers from City Aviation and the CTA Changes.
 #1554062  by lstone19

JamesT4 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:57 pm The cleaning of the trains is one thing but another reason is that started on July 31st that O'Hare and Midway "is now" closed to the general public between 10pm and 4am unless your an badged employee or passenger ...
Or a passenger as said. And while there probably will not be departing passengers after 10pm, there are a good number of arrivals scheduled after 10pm with some after 11pm (and while I couldn't find any currently, after midnight in the past). Throw in a delay and waiting to claim baggage and there are likely to be legitimate arriving passengers looking to board the Blue Line after midnight.