Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#910075  by Disney Guy

Does BART have real time earthquake sensing, notably for the Trans Bay Tunnel but also applicable on elevated tracks?

To do such things as slow the train down so, if the tunnel should suddenly get torn asunder, the train won't get lodged there from a high speed.

Also tunnel sensors and a cab readout to let the motorman know whether he should continue to the next station or back up to the previous station (if the train can).
 #912201  by Head-end View

Not sure about the questions you asked, but I believe the trans-bay tubes are designed to flex slightly during a quake.
 #912220  by modorney

There's two places you want to be in San Francisco during an earthquake. The transbay tube, and Bechtel's headquarters. That's kind of a "saying", since there are lots of safe places. But the tube is designed to flex 4 to 6 feet, and ther is an upper limit to an earthquake, since the San Andreas fault is only so long.

After a quake, all trains hold in place, then each train goes manually to the next station, then every track gets inspected. Takes about 15 minutes, but often one train gets "Forgotten",
 #929058  by drewh

I was working downtown in the financial district during the 89 Loma Prieta quake. I lived in Walnut Creek. The quake was on tuesday at 504pm, there was no Bart service till either the next morning or thursday morning. I cant remember which. It left a lot of people stranded all night since there was no Bay Bridge either.