Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#748126  by computermodeler

Hi --

Recently I was in the Los Angeles area, and hoped to get some photos of Metrolink equipment. However, had a lot of problems due to rain and time constraints.

What I need are some photos from the ends and sides of cars, as straight as possible, which I will then use to make some computer models.

From satellite photos, it looks like the two best places to take photos are the San Bernardino yard, and then what I think might be called Taylor yard a bit north of LAUS along the river. However, although we went to the outlet mall in Palm Springs, could not convince my companion to take some time to go to San Bernardino, and further could not seem to find how to get to the Taylor yard and risked missing my flight home. So, I settled for LAUS, and while I got some good end shots of coaches, could not really get anything good from the side.

So, that said, are you a photographer? If you can get me some good digital shots from the side of one of the Bombardier coaches, I could PayPal you some $$ or send you a check. As of now this is a non-profit project, so I am thinking of $25 or something. Does that seem reasonable? We can negotiate.

Let me give you an example of what I DON'T need:
metrolink_bad_example.jpg
metrolink_bad_example.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Problems include:
  • Does not show entire car
  • Slightly angled
  • Railings and other obstructions in front
  • Lighting not so good
If you can get me a nice, straight shot from the side, then let's talk.

Thanks,

- Jay