Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#743026  by andrethebusman

According to Metrolink's "data sheets", 4 cab cars and 6 trailers have been retired. From various sources, I have come up with the following:

04-23-02 Placentia collision with BNSF freight - 634 and 113

01-26-05 Vehicle collision and subsequent multi-train collision - 623 - 625 - 133 -148 - 177 - 197

This gives 3 cabs and 5 trailers. There is a California PUC report of a vehicle collision/derailment on 1/6/03 where a cab and trailer were severely damaged, but gives no numbers. Anybody have this info? I am assuming that one is 608. Note that trailer 184 was destroyed at Chatsworth 9/12/08, but I suspect that it has not bet been "officially retired".
 #752805  by Wattz

I can confirm that it was cab 608 damaged back in 2003, when it ended up on it's side after colliding with the truck at Buena Vista St. crossing. Coach 184 was never received my Metrolink as it was wrecked in-transit from the factory. 185 is the coach wrecked in Chatsworth.
 #785825  by Wattz

From what I can find, SCAX 184 was involved in a derailment on July 29th, 2001 in Missouri, on Amtrak service #21 (I think that is the Texas Eagle). According to the reports of the time, #184 was just behind the two P42s, and was wrecked along with two or three other cars. Officials were speculating that a bridge washed out during the night.