Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#52840  by queenlnr8

Has anyone seen the new test cars on BART with the new floors? GONE is the purplish carpet and ushered in is the new (soon to be standard??) blue linoleum!

Check it out!

#53177  by KANDYMAN

BART has been testing these new floors for well over a year now. Their advantage is they are supposedly easier to clean and maintain than the carpeted cars.

-Steve
 #58061  by tp49

This doesn't really relate to the floors (I have seen those cars though) but I was wondering what the LED light on the top of the head end on BART trains is for. It appears too dim to be an additional headlight and I haven't seen any explination in the BART Times (or whatever that leaflet is called) as to what it could be, anyone have an idea?
 #58434  by transitteen

I believe that the lights were installed so workers on the tracks could distinguish the head lights of cars from a train, particularly on the C-line and the L-line. There have been incidents before, even in a tunnel where workers have been struck by trains. A few years back a worker was killed when he was struck by a train mid-day during an inspection of an electrical fault on the M-line. It is part of an improvement plan to make BART safer for it's rail workers.

- C.R.
 #59347  by Flxiblemetro

queenlnr8 wrote:Has anyone seen the new test cars on BART with the new floors? GONE is the purplish carpet and ushered in is the new (soon to be standard??) blue linoleum!

Check it out!
Yes,

I have only seen those floors on BART's 2500 series C-2 cars.