Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#928552  by digitalsciguy

lensovet wrote:as to your other point, no, there's just one line. all trains run the full length of the line. the segment between san jose and gilroy has no weekend service, so presumably electrification would occur between SJ and SF first.
Oops, yeah, I derped a bit there. I'm at a loss for what's going on in California...I can only hope the HSR construction finally reaches SF before more budget cuts kill the project and make CalTrain electrification more difficult.
 #1063350  by Fan Railer

digitalsciguy wrote:
lensovet wrote:as to your other point, no, there's just one line. all trains run the full length of the line. the segment between san jose and gilroy has no weekend service, so presumably electrification would occur between SJ and SF first.
Oops, yeah, I derped a bit there. I'm at a loss for what's going on in California...I can only hope the HSR construction finally reaches SF before more budget cuts kill the project and make CalTrain electrification more difficult.
Well, considering that the State Senate barely passed the measure to spend the first 6-7 billion or so dollars, in which includes about 700 million to electrify Caltrain, this is now a completely relevant thread again. What I don't get is why Caltrain wants european EMU's so badly. If they're thinking about increasing service and running trains more frequently, I would think there are plenty of single level EMU's that will do the trick, considering that many station platforms are lengthy enough for 6-8 car service, despite the fact that Caltrain only operates 5 car push pull sets now. Another option would be to purchase dual mode locomotives like the ones on NJT, but that's unlikely, and I'm not sure that it would be a smart idea if they plan to electrify down to Gilroy soon after they complete electrification to Tamien.