Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#426071  by kevikens

Can anyone give me some information on good railyards in the Bay Area where I can view and photograph either passenger servicing or freight switching ? Thanks
 #427736  by farmerjohn

kevikens wrote:Can anyone give me some information on good railyards in the Bay Area where I can view and photograph either passenger servicing or freight switching ? Thanks
I havn't seen really seen anything with action. I work right up next to a UP mainline with a small yard and theirs not much action. Engines will come in and build consist once in a while. An Amtrak California train once in a while then BART runs right next to it. Nothing really worth going to and its not a safe area. I live a block up from the BNSF mainline so I see Amtraks pull through all day well into the night and a freight it seems every 20-30 minutes. Sometimes sooner. Engines will sometimes go racing by and then long freights, short freights. Water is right their and they go over a cool looking old bridge. Combines Fishing and trains and its not far from home so thats what makes it worth it for me. Good Luck!

#427783  by lensovet

while there might not be that much "action" over in Richmond, and some consider it to be a shady area, I certainly enjoyed my trip out there – see this thread

#428688  by farmerjohn

lensovet wrote:while there might not be that much "action" over in Richmond, and some consider it to be a shady area, I certainly enjoyed my trip out there – see this thread
Cool stuff. What ever happend with the whole ticket deal? :-D

#433007  by kevikens

I just returned from my annual visit to the Bay Area. This year I drove out to the Pittsburg and Port Chicago area and got some good shots of the BNSF at those two locations. I drove southward through Niles Canyon and stopped at the Fremont station and then ran into the UP's Newark Yard on the way to the Dunbarton Bridge. The yard there was active and I got to see some UP and one SP locomotive power making up trains. The SP unit was going to and from the Morton salt plant which made a great back drop for photos. I also got some shots of the engine facility in Oakland from the BART. In late afternoon the light was actually pretty good for getting pictures of the locomotives and maintenance facilities. I also went to the UP's Martinez yard which I had seen before as I knew there would be some activity there and I actually followed a train from the yard to the approach to the Suisun Bridge. I had a great time and have lots of pictues for my albums.