Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#413919  by Tadman

From what I've heard, there's a lever that engages/disengages a "gripper" from the moving cable beneath the street. In this day and age there may be an electrically controlled gripper rather than a "armstrong" style, but I'm no expert.

#413957  by 3rdrail

SF Cable cars today are virtually the same now as they were in the 1800's. They are a National Historical Site, and as such, are tightly controlled as regards to modifications, etc. The grips are not electrically controlled, but instead controlled by good old-fashioned elbow grease and are the same ones which have their origins in designs made by men like Andrew Hallidie and Henry Casebolt way back when. A few variations in style of grip manifested itself in the early years, but the one found under today's cars was found to be the best for it's application. It also was developed in the 1800's. They have no motors, but instead - through the grip - clamp onto a moving cable underneath the street which pulls them along. The powerhouse which drives the "rope" under the street is electrically controlled, and is located at Hyde/Washington Sts. It is a great thing to see and the cars are wonderful machines to experience.

#413974  by modorney

As 3rd rail says, this is basic technology. Gripmen (they work for Muni) clamp on to the cable, and for braking (and intersections) they release the cable. Brakes, themselves are wooden shoes.

At intersections, where cables cross, one wire is on top, and the other is below. The "below" cable car releases its grip and rolls through the intersection. They are sloped, and gravity works every time.

Come out to San Francisco and ride them. The museum is quite interesting - and it's free. Muni is hiring - get on as a bus driver (they are short 150 drivers) and try for cable cars.

Cable car basic fare is 5 bucks, one way. No muni transfers are accepted, or given out. However, there are fare options:

Bart Plus - this gives you half a month of unlimited riding (flash pass) on cable cars, muni and a bunch of other systems, plus a fixed amount of BART. If you are here a while, the 38 bucks is a good deal.

Passport - a 1, 3 or 7 day pass - 11 to 24 bucks - good for cable cars and Muni.

Weekly pass - 15 bucks - good for all of Muni, Cable Cars require another buck.

#414154  by Gerry6309

The MUNI website

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mhome/home50.htm

has a great section "Tales of the Grip" IIRC about operating the Cable Cars. It's great reading!

#415499  by timz

3rdrail wrote:The powerhouse which drives the "rope" under the street is electrically controlled, and is located at Hyde/Washington Sts.
Mason/Washington, isn't it?

Hard to believe all the cars (including the Calif St) are clamped onto cable loops that run from one end of the line to the other and over to the powerhouse. As I recall the cables only last six months or so? Supposedly splicing the ends of a new one together is a job.

#415511  by 3rdrail

timz wrote:
3rdrail wrote:The powerhouse which drives the "rope" under the street is electrically controlled, and is located at Hyde/Washington Sts.
Mason/Washington, isn't it?

Hard to believe all the cars (including the Calif St) are clamped onto cable loops that run from one end of the line to the other and over to the powerhouse. As I recall the cables only last six months or so? Supposedly splicing the ends of a new one together is a job.
You're right - Mason/Washington - I was thinking of the end of the Hyde Street Line. (Actually, I have Hyde St. on the brain for another reason, but enough about that !) Splicing is a time-honored skill that has been passed down by generations. Like everything else on the Cable system, it's done by muscle power ! :-)

#416026  by RailBus63

modorney wrote:Cable car basic fare is 5 bucks, one way. No muni transfers are accepted, or given out. However, there are fare options:

Bart Plus - this gives you half a month of unlimited riding (flash pass) on cable cars, muni and a bunch of other systems, plus a fixed amount of BART. If you are here a while, the 38 bucks is a good deal.

Passport - a 1, 3 or 7 day pass - 11 to 24 bucks - good for cable cars and Muni.

Weekly pass - 15 bucks - good for all of Muni, Cable Cars require another buck.
The San Francisco CityPass includes a seven-day Muni & cable car passport. The pass offers discount admission to six tourist attractions in the city.

#416044  by pennsy

Hi All,

You all have left out the most fun part. When the cable car comes to the end of the line, it coasts onto a turntable, Armstrong Powered. So all get off and help the Gripman turn the cable car around. Great fun. A slight shove and the car is is position to grip the cable again for the return trip.

Brakes ??? Last time I rode the cable cars, the brakes were lengths of wood pine two by fours. They were pressed against the rails to stop the cable car. Talk about clouds of white smoke coming out of the braking system. The Gripman told me that the wooden brake shoes had to be replaced fairly frequently.

#416104  by 3rdrail

They also utilize wheel brakes as well as emergency braking which drives a wedge into the slot in the street so quickly that it actually becomes "welded". This application is strictly for dire emergency stopping only, as a work crew must come out and free the car. I'm told that the track brakes (pine blocks) when applied, can sometimes actually lift the car off the tracks. As regards to passengers assisting the Gripman and Conductor turn the cars - "officially", it's a thing of the past due to insurance regulations. (It still is done occasionally however.) There is a great true San Francisco legend whereby a run-away cable car was brought to a halt as it raced down it's steep route unoccupied. A San Francisco Mounted Policeman rode his horse alongside, jumping onto the car from the horse, and stopping the car from almost certainly killing many persons. And you thought that Indiana Jones was only in the movies ! :-D

#416151  by pennsy

Hi 3rdrail,

You left out the famous (infamous?) catch phrase offered by the Gripman, " The Fare is Fair". This is to encourage passengers to pay the fare and not try to ride for free. My son lived in San Francisco for three years, and he could not believe how many "tourists" failed to pay the fare.

#416226  by RailBus63

How are fares collected on the cars if you literally have people hanging off the side?

(And speaking of insurance regulations - how is that practice still allowed in these lawsuit-happy times?)

#416359  by 3rdrail

The Cable Cars are a trip back to the 1800's with 1800's practices. It can be difficult for those hanging on for dear life on a runningboard to reach into your wallet, take out cash, return your wallet to your pocket, wait for it to be collected and pay. Somebody already mentioned the pass system that Muni has. It's great, particularly for this specific reason, as well as the fact that it's a bargain if you're a buff and ride the heck out of the cars. I have just kept a pass in my shirt pocket which I've shown from afar to the conductor and everything was hunky dorey. Sometimes the conductor is too busy to collect fares, especially on a crowded car. He's a busy guy watching to make sure that his passengers don't get hit by a passing truck or fall off the car, herding them to evenly distribute the load in the car, ratcheting the rear-wheel brake in the rear vestibule on steep hills, calling out streets, answering the same questions a million times to tourists, giving directions, and collecting fares.
Alan J. - did you really pay every time ? I'm checking the tapes, by golly ! :wink:

#416468  by pennsy

Yo Paul,

I'll swear on that same stack of Bibles that you are swearing on.
 #420715  by rail10

I will like to thanks to replying to my question on the operation of the cable cars.