Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#341872  by kevikens

I only visit the Bay Area about once a year. In reviewing my pictures of last years's visit I have noticed that the only place I see freight on the Caltrains route is in the vicinity of South San Francisco and Santa Clara. What I'd like to know is how the freight gets into South SF. I never see anything on the line anywhere else so how and when does freight move on that line. Can you get daytime shots of UP on that line ? I know the Newark bridge is out of service so I guess it has to come north from Sanata Clara but I never see it. Does this stuff move only at night ?

#346190  by Stephen

When I left San Francisco, in 1997, the only freight movements on that line were late night. Since Cal-Train has further expaned its service, I would assume it is still that way.
- Stephen

#376183  by Alloy

Tonight I was in Burlingame at 11:00pm, and the gates came down while I was several blocks from the tracks. What went by were two locomotives and three hopper cars. I had never seen freight move on that line before tonight. It was too dark to see any markings on the engines--I would have liked to have seen whether they were old Southern Pacific units.