Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#330177  by Septaman113

I noticed inside the PCC's and the other old streetcars that there was a sign right above the driver that stated " DO NOT OPERATE ON N LINE". Why is that? The end of the N has a loop,so I was wondering. Thanks.

#330182  by lensovet

technically, the PCCs aren't supposed to run on ANYTHING other than the F line. all the LR lines have just that – light rail cars – running on them.
my guess for why the N was singled out is that it crosses with the F somewhere and it's just a reminder for the PCCs to not go on N-only trackage by accident.

#331564  by jwhite07

The N is the one that goes through the Sunset Tunnel, right? I seem to recall being told while I was on a charter back in 2000 that historic cars could no longer use that line because the Sunset Tunnel had been equipped for cab signal operation, and historic cars don't have cab signals.

We did go to Ocean Beach on a charter I was on in 1996, apparently pre-cab signals. I got a nice side-by-side photograph of two different generations of Italian cars - Milan Peter Witt 1834 (which was tucked away on the stub track there for our lunch break) and the then-brand new Breda 1400-1401-1402 undergoing acceptance testing.