Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#22077  by kevikens

I will be coming out to the Bay Area this summer, ostensibly to visit my daughters, but actually to rail fan the West coast. I live in NJ and have been coming out for the past five years. I really like this area as both the equipment, Railroads and scenery are so different from back East, except for the Muni PCC's which look awefully familiar to a person who grew up in Philadalphia. I have visited, in addition to the City, San Jose, the Santa Clara rail yard, Pinole, Martinez, Sacramento and unsuccessfully, Oakland. Any suggestions from you regulars on what might be a good place to go to when I am out there this summer ? By the way will Caltrain be up and running on weekends this summer ? Thanks

#22121  by modorney

Here's some local meetings:

Upcoming Calrailfans Gatherings/Events:

June 12, Semi-Annual Stockton Tower
July 17, Antioch
Aug 21-22, Alta
Aug 28-29, Portola RR Days
Sept 11-12, Truckee Railroad Days
Sept 18, Binney Jct
Oct 15-17, Annual Frost Campout
Nov 13, Roseville
Dec 18, Annual Stockton Tower

You will get to meet some of the locals, if your schedule includes any of these Saturdays.

Are you interested in any of the transit stuff? We can probably assemble a local gathering in San Fran, Oakland, Santa Clara, etc.

And, yes, Caltrain starts weekend service on June 5.

#22310  by kevikens

I am interested in ANYTHING that runs on rails. I will be out twice this summer. First I will be out for the weekend of 6/12&13 but will busy with a graduation at Stanford though I hope to visit the Golden Gate Museum in SF. By the way, is it worth the visit ? I can't tell from the website. I will be out later in July for a more extended visit. Last summer I did meet some of the locals who were rail fanning the BNSF and UP spot at Pinole. Nice buch of guys. Thanks for the info.