Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1427611  by lpetrich

ACEforward - ACE | Altamont Corridor Express -- various improvements in various stages of planning.

Improvements like more trains per day and an extension from Stockton and Lathrop to Manteca, Modesto, Turlock, and Merced. Also a rerouting through Tracy and a connection to the Union City BART station.

The ACEForward authors do not anticipate electrification, but they mention the possibility of using Diesel Multiple Units.
 #1430985  by lensovet

I don't understand the Union City BART connection at all.

The two lines literally cross each other. The number of ACE trains, even in the future, is 9 per day. they should just build a dedicated transfer station where the two lines cross and have BART trains only stop to meet an ACE train and skip the station all other times. Build two island platforms and potentially don't even bother making a connection to the neighborhood (sort of like the EWR station on the northeast corridor).
 #1460950  by transit man

Knowing that the ACE route is on UP trackage (except in the San Jose area) which segments were on SP or WP previously owned tracks?
 #1461140  by ExCon90

According to the Altamont Press, California Region Timetable #20 of March 2009:
San Jose Diridon
SP (via Santa Clara and Newark)
Niles Jct.
WP
McKinley Ave./Hunter St.*
SP
Stockton SP Sta.

* McKinley Ave. on former WP, Hunter St. on former SP, apparently the same place

I believe the Altamont Press railfan timetables were discontinued after the death of the editor and publisher, and as far as I know no one seized the baton. It must have been a mammoth undertaking to keep those issues up to date--just consider the additional trackage and interlockings being installed on LA Metrolink during that period.
 #1470552  by Jeff Smith

The article is behind a paywall, but the gist is in the first paragraph anyway: BizJournals.com
The Siemens Mobility train factory in Sacramento received a contract to build four of its new Charger locomotives for use on the Altamont Corridor Express commuter route, with an option for four additional train engines.
 #1474726  by Tadman

That's interesting. I'm a bit surprised they went the new-build route. Although 20 years old, the ACE locomotives make 1x/day in each direction. That's the definition of pampered, compared to P42's of the same age doing 24/7 long distance service or even busy commuter rails doing backhauls and 2nd/3rd trips in line MNCR or Metra.

Whoever gets those ACE's are getting a good buy.

Edit: after reading the release, it looks like a serious expansion in consist is happening. God forbid we actually buy new power in the US before it crumbles into the ground...
 #1475068  by lensovet

it's even worse if you look closely. they currently have 6 locomotives for 8 trains/day. they are buying 4 more with an option for another 4. even if they don't exercise the option they will have 10 locomotives for 8 trains. There's also only 9 cab cars. They tout the ability to pull 10-car trains but there's only a total of 30 cars on the property lol.

from the meeting notes the contract cost is $30,896,568. apparently they have done a midlife overhaul of one existing locomotive as well.
 #1518425  by MattW

ACE to begin Saturday service: https://acerail.com/saturday_service/
The San Joaquin Regional Rail Commission (SJRRC) is pleased to announce the launch of the NEW Altamont Corridor Express (ACE) Saturday Service beginning September 7, 2019.
It looks like two roundtrips, the WBs leave Stockton at 7:25 and 8:40, EBs leave San Jose at 3:50 and 5:00. The latest WB to earliest EB allows almost 5 hours in San Jose.
 #1518437  by lensovet

they are kicking off weekend service with a 7.25 am westbound departure…? and a 5 pm eastbound…? ok…not sure what the saturday commuter market looks like.

well, better than nothing i guess :)
 #1534586  by Pensyfan19

I have no idea how this went pretty much unnoticed for almost a month but ACE Train has been testing a charger numbered 3110. Anyone know of any other chargers testing, entering service, or even footage of these locomotives?

(skip to 2:44) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpXt5EQGYUo
 #1534618  by Pensyfan19

Train60 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:07 pm A little off topic, but here's a good one. Charger 4628 leading Amtrak train 5 (2/18). The trains made contact with a cement truck just near east of Reno, NV. I'm sure the owner of the unit, the Illinois Dept. of Transportation, is not thrilled.

https://youtu.be/YtOvUx0VD30
I heard. Not very safe for the crew with the frinterstate window shattered. If Amtrak would have bought the Via Rail or Brightline variant or something similar of that nature, then it would be safer for the crew rather than the current ALC 42.

But to prevent going off topic, does anyone know when or if the ACE chargers are going into or have gone into service?