Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1148766  by lensovet

sparkyhero wrote:Hey guys, I found this video on Youtube, it's pretty interesting. It displays all the commuter rail agencies in North America. ACE, Coaster, Caltrain and Metrolink are shown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRDYUiP0bqU
too bad they didn't include the Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliner, which definitely do double duty as both commuter and leisure trains.
also quite interesting to see the daily ridership numbers. like NJT – 300k, Metrolink – 30k.
 #1148900  by electricron

lensovet wrote:
sparkyhero wrote:Hey guys, I found this video on Youtube, it's pretty interesting. It displays all the commuter rail agencies in North America. ACE, Coaster, Caltrain and Metrolink are shown.
too bad they didn't include the Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliner, which definitely do double duty as both commuter and leisure trains.
Both the Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliner aren't operated by commuter rail agencies, yet. They are more akin to NEC Regionals than LIRR, Metro North, or NJT. I wouldn't consider NYC to Boston, Philadelphia, or Albany commuter rail service, just like I don't think we should consider LA to SD, LA to SB, or Sacramento to SJ commuter rail service. "Regional" services (intercity) fits so much better.
 #1149437  by lensovet

electricron wrote:
lensovet wrote:
Both the Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliner aren't operated by commuter rail agencies, yet. They are more akin to NEC Regionals than LIRR, Metro North, or NJT. I wouldn't consider NYC to Boston, Philadelphia, or Albany commuter rail service, just like I don't think we should consider LA to SD, LA to SB, or Sacramento to SJ commuter rail service. "Regional" services (intercity) fits so much better.
yes, but few people take these trains end-to-end. there's quite a few commuters coming from sacramento to SF, a good number going from the bay area to davis, and a similarly good number going from the east bay to silicon valley (read: Santa Clara). you should see the parking lot at Great America at night – it's basically packed.

Edit: and to take your NEC examples, there are quite a few people commuting from Delaware/Maryland into DC and similarly with the other cities along the route. In fact, one of those people is currently the vice-president.