Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#101095  by kevikens

Do they plan on arresting all those tourists who come to SF to photgraph cable cars and the F line heritage trolleys ? Here on the East Coast we have had to involve the ACLU who made it very clear to NJT that they do not have carte blanche to ban photography of their vehicles. I suggest you contact your local branch of the ACLU and see if they will go to bat for you out there.

#101391  by Palal12

Ah, no. This is a one-time incident. Happened in the subway. No problems elsewhere.

#138118  by MetraRy

i plan on visiting san fransico next week and taking pictures of Caltrain and bart. do any of you for see a problem with law enforcement?

#142850  by typesix

On Boston's T, one cannot take photos of the T while on T property unless you have photo permit. T inspectors will harass anyone on public property taking legal pictures of the cars and operators actually call in photogs on public propertyto central dispatch.

#145437  by Palal12

MetraRy wrote:i plan on visiting san fransico next week and taking pictures of Caltrain and bart. do any of you for see a problem with law enforcement?
Sorry for the late response.
I haven't had any problems with either as long as you stay where you should be.

#161496  by fjcaron

Plain and simple as pointed out, stay off the tracks, stay behind the yellow line at stations and you'll be just fine. Some engineers and conductors have nothing else better to do than to report folks, if they aren't a threat I don't bother, especially if they are railfans taking photos and not causing problems.

MetraRy wrote:i plan on visiting san fransico next week and taking pictures of Caltrain and bart. do any of you for see a problem with law enforcement?