Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#95757  by railfanofewu

Are the ex-Melbourne W2s that the Market Street Railway have ADA-compliant? I know up here in Seattle, we use high-platforms with the ones King County Metro has.
 #96057  by Palal12

railfanofewu wrote:Are the ex-Melbourne W2s that the Market Street Railway have ADA-compliant? I know up here in Seattle, we use high-platforms with the ones King County Metro has.
Most surface stops on the F Market line have accessible ramps, so I would assume it's compliant.

BTW. Currently the W2 is in the shop, having the low-voltage electrical system as well as some com equipment installed.

#96058  by railfanofewu

Thanks, our 4 are under threat of losiing their maintenance facility because the Seattle Art Museum wants their waterfront property for a scultpture park, and the Alaskan Way Viaduct and Seawall replacement will close the line for a few years anyway. I was just thinking if there was a way to use the W2s for a quick extension without the need for high platforms.

#96363  by modorney

railfanofewu wrote: I was just thinking if there was a way to use the W2s for a quick extension without the need for high platforms.
On many of Muni's trolley lines, some of the stops are non-ADA street stops. Apparently, ADA doesn't require complete compliance, maybe you can build a few compliant stops, and have some non-compliant ones, too.

I don't know how your streets are laid out, but there might be places to put the (temporary) high level platforms.

#96400  by railfanofewu

I do not even think our 4 have their steps anymore, as all stations from Jackson St, Occidental Park, Washington St. Clam Central Station(Madison St, Ivar's Acres of Clams Resteraunt is across the street), University St, Pine St, Bell St, Vine St, and Broad St have High Platforms. Perhaps Metro can take wheelchair lifts off of the soon to be scrapped Ansaldo-Breda Tunnel Buses and M*A*N Articulated Trolleybuses to allow for ADA Access on the streetcars. One of the two proposed extensions that are viable in the here and now is Grade Seperated, but the one to the top of the International District is not, and I would think that Metro could save money by not having High Platforms at every stop.

#96435  by Palal12

railfanofewu wrote:I do not even think our 4 have their steps anymore, as all stations from Jackson St, Occidental Park, Washington St. Clam Central Station(Madison St, Ivar's Acres of Clams Resteraunt is across the street), University St, Pine St, Bell St, Vine St, and Broad St have High Platforms. Perhaps Metro can take wheelchair lifts off of the soon to be scrapped Ansaldo-Breda Tunnel Buses and M*A*N Articulated Trolleybuses to allow for ADA Access on the streetcars. One of the two proposed extensions that are viable in the here and now is Grade Seperated, but the one to the top of the International District is not, and I would think that Metro could save money by not having High Platforms at every stop.
Where is the extension being considered? The only place I can think of would be the Stadium area or Chinatown, or am I missing something?

BTW. Since the tunnel is being refitted for light rail, it may be possible to have the LR vehicles and the W2s sharing the same facility once it gets built. Now that would be a sight to see!

Wow, with the tunnel closed and the W2s shut down, all Seattle will have left would be the Monorail, which is (thankfully) back up and running.

#96437  by railfanofewu

Palal12 wrote:
Where is the extension being considered? The only place I can think of would be the Stadium area or Chinatown, or am I missing something?

BTW. Since the tunnel is being refitted for light rail, it may be possible to have the LR vehicles and the W2s sharing the same facility once it gets built. Now that would be a sight to see!

Wow, with the tunnel closed and the W2s shut down, all Seattle will have left would be the Monorail, which is (thankfully) back up and running.
It was some bereaucratic document-study I found somewhere on the SDoT website, that in an appendix also included Ridership statistics for Metro routes 1-99(All Single and Double Digit routes serve Seattle primarily).

Perhaps they should modify the switches for the LRT so that the Streetcar Line will work. I just find it hard to believe that the Seattle Art Museum can just take the Streetcar Barn from Metro, without helping on the relocation costs. In the case of Portland, heavy maintenance is done at one of TriMets two MAX shops, and the Portalnd Streetcars yard and maintenace facility is underneath a freeway. Unfortunately the only candiidate freeway up here is going to be coming down in a few years. When the Viaduct is removed, and the Alaskan Way Seawall is fixed up(even older than the Viaduct), we will have a better Front Porch of the City.

#117731  by railfanofewu

It has to be replaced, it is reaching the end of it's design life, and is carrying more cars than it should be. I like the new proposal to extend the Streetcar to Interbay. A line relocation to 1st Ave would work. Seattle could be able to build Light Rail and Streetcar network, almost like MUNI(Minus cable cars, of course, Seattle got rid of their's in 1940). It would not make sense to have two streetcar lines that do not connect. The F line uses the same maintenance facilities that the BREDA cars on the J,K,L,M, and N lines, right?

#117867  by djQFI

It would not make sense to have two streetcar lines that do not connect. The F line uses the same maintenance facilities that the BREDA cars on the J,K,L,M, and N lines, right?
Yep, pretty much. In fact, the F uses the J-Church tracks to pull-in/out of service.

#118424  by railfanofewu

djQFI wrote: Yep, pretty much. In fact, the F uses the J-Church tracks to pull-in/out of service.
Perhaps it is a stretch, would make for a connection to use shared maintenance facilities up here. Up here The proposed South Lake Union Line would probably use Modern SKODA Trams, while the Waterfront line uses W2s from Melbourne. The Melbourne Cars would have to be maintained in their own facility though, and require a lot of maintenance, but they add to the charachter of the Waterfront, unlike the SKODA Trams. It's going to interesting to see if ifKing County Metro will look the gift-horse donation offer from the Port of Seattle in the mouth. A Deal where the tracks, and stations for a small extension plus land for a mantenance facility will be donated to Metro, all Metro will have to do is build the facility, and I bet they can do it for 7 figures.