• BNSF Auctioning GP30Us and GP35Us

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by DutchRailnut

Railroads won't show any interest in engines with 567 power, as its not and can not be made EPA compliant.
there are to many limits on how many power assemblies can be changed out each year and parts are hard to come by.
  by MEC407

I'm pretty sure these units were upgraded with 645 power assemblies as part of the rebuild program. That doesn't negate all of the issues with 567s but it helps a little.

Edit: Class I and regional railroads might not want them, but there are a few shortlines and industrial operations where they could potentially find homes, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few of them ended up in the LTEX fleet. The other possibility is that they become genset or 710ECO fodder.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Ðauntless

Dutch you need to do some more homework on the new regulations and the exemptions..
  by DutchRailnut

not really, lets watch the auction and a 567 with 645 power assemblies is still a 567 engine.
  by MEC407

DutchRailnut wrote:...a 567 with 645 power assemblies is still a 567 engine.
I never said it wasn't.
  by thebigham

Imagine if Pan Am bought some! People would freak.
  by MEC407

Stranger things have happened! They'd actually have newer electrical systems than most of the locomotives in the existing PAR fleet.
  by RickRackstop

MEC407 wrote:Stranger things have happened! They'd actually have newer electrical systems than most of the locomotives in the existing PAR fleet.
Does that include switching the D32 DC generator for a rebuilt AR10 alternator? As you imply the electrical control systems are the real problem in these old units not the 567 engine.