Railroad Forums 

• Favorite EMD Truck type?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#80840  by txbritt

I couldn't resist.

I like Blomberg's 'cause they're pretty.

TxBritt

#80887  by emd_SD_60

HT-C. :wink:

#80999  by mxdata

I really liked the Chevy Suburban Silverado with the 6.2 diesel they gave me as a company vehicle back in 1986. That was a really nice truck.

#81004  by crazy_nip

I prefer a '57 chevy apache truck with the large rear window option, the wrap-around one

throw a hot 327 in it and it will cruise

no air conditioning and cold in the winter, but nice lines

#81049  by mxdata

I never saw one of those trucks as an EMD company vehicle, but a pickup truck probably would have been issued to the Parts Department or one of the branch warehouses rather than Sales and Service. The company usually could not justify a high performance vehicle for most applications, so any owned by EMD would probably have had the "Blue Smoke" (Blue Flame) six cylinder.

#81059  by Trackbolt

My 1967 Ford F-100 short bed with a '66 Thunderbird 390 FE, factory headers and 4 barrel cast iron C-6 and Ford 9 inch rear.

Blomberg. They are cool to watch flex on lousy track.

#81404  by trainiac

Blomberg. 60+ years of use and going strong.

Close second: HTC. I just like the way it looks, especially under SD40-2s.

#81750  by Tadman

The new Hi-adhesion truck under the SD70. It saves so much wear on track and thus money.

#90934  by nickleinonen

Tadman wrote:The new Hi-adhesion truck under the SD70. It saves so much wear on track and thus money.
i like these ones too, as long as they are the split journal box type. they make changing out traction motors easy... if they are the solid 1 piece boxes, i don't like changing them out [sometimes the box just don't want to come off the journal bearing, even with the hydraulic press on it :( ]

#90954  by junction tower

From a beauty standpoint, I'll take a HTC with brake cylinders on all the axles, ala N&W. That just says "all business" to me.

#96853  by F40CFan

Blomberg 3-Axle (A1A) hands down.

#96885  by emd_SD_60

The Flexicoils on the first generation SD7's, SD9's, SD18's and SD24's.

Is it just me but are they different from the ones on the SD35's and SD40's? They seem to "ride" lower.

#97189  by txbritt

Oh my Gawd, I can't believe ya'll resurrected this post.

I had no idea it would be taken seriously.

TxBritt

#97228  by emd_SD_60

The SD7's seem to be longer and slimmer, the SD40's short and fat. :-D

#97306  by mp15ac

The difference is an illusion. The two trucks have the same casting. The difference in looks is caused by the differnt brake setups. The CB&Q SD9 has the three cylinder on top arrangement, while the SP SD40 has the short lived two cylinder low arrangement. It was simpiler than the high mount cylinder arrangement, but if the loco derailed that brake cylinders would get damaged. Some railroads converted the truck to a one up one down arrangement. Finally, EMD abandoned the concept and went to a standard two cylinder high arrangement, unless a customer specified three cylinders high with double clasp shoes (N&W for example).

Stuart

P.S. My favorite EMD truck design is the Flexicoil D truck used under the DD35 and DDA40X.