Railroad Forums 

• Is there a specific Parts Catalog for the FL9?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#58513  by RAS

I have noticed that although you can find "common" parts shared by the F9 and the New Haven Railroad FL9 in some EMD parts books, many of the specific and unusual items pertaining to this locomotive seem to be missing. Has anyone encountered a parts book which is specific to the FL9 locomotives?

#58686  by crij

Ras,

The FL-9 parts are covered within the standard Catalog 90. I have a second edition of the Cat 90, which covers both late 567 and early 645 powered EMDs. As far as I know EMD never made a locomotive specific parts manual, just maintenance and operation.

Not sure if they may have assembled one for the delivery of FL-9 unit #2000.

Take care,

Rich C.

#58699  by DutchRailnut

Even the third rail switching gear and grid resistors were standard EMD Dynamic brake parts.
Only things not EMD were the air operated shoe mechs and the shoe beams and the end castings

#58702  by PCook

This is a really confusing topic due to the way the Catalog 90 developed, a particular copy may or may not have the FL9 depending on the vintage of the book. When the parts catalog was originally issued in 1950 (first edition) the F9, FP9, and FL9 did not exist yet. When it was re-issued in 1965 (the real second edition, but usually not marked as such), they all existed but some items pertaining to the FL9 did not make it into all the printings. There were numerous page modifications sent out for the post-bound early versions of the parts books over the years, and how complete a set of the books is, depends on who was maintaining them and whether the updated pages were all received and installed. Then there have been more recent reprintings, including some in glue bound volumes rather than the original post bindings. One of the most recent still lacks the FL9 carbody structure, side panels, and other carbody parts. It has the switcher two axle flexicoil truck and the SD three axle flexicoil truck, but there is no information identified for the FL9 trucks.

And, there also was a FL9 specific parts book which is a "supplement" to the Catalog 90 (just as there was an FL9 supplement to the F9 operators manual) and included primarily the items which differed from the other F-units, as far as I know it was issued only on the New Haven Railroad.

Rail Systems Inc. (RSI) of Houma, Louisiana still distributes the Catalog 90 for EMD.