Railroad Forums 

• EMD Loading Trouble

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#620005  by seth4404

I have an EMD SD9 that is giving me some trouble. Recently brought back to life from the deadline, the locomotive does not want to act normally when being throttled up with a load. When putting the reverser in either forawrd or reverse and notching up, the engine will dig down to a low RPM, the low power alarm will sound, and the engine will eventually shoot up to the proper speed. It does not do this with the reverser centered.

Do any of you have a probable cause to this?
 #620124  by DutchRailnut

is load regulator working ?? or did it get stuck from sitting in one position.
Its the big potentiometer type thing on floor next to start/stop button.
Its controlled by governor with very thin oil 5W20 or 5W10
 #620223  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'd look again, and then clean the conatcts on the Amphenol plug, and also drain and replace the oil in the Govrenor. Be sure the lines going to the LR are flushed out too. Finally, some contact cleaner sprayed liberally on ALL of the contactors in the control stand, as well as the ones in the cabinet. You might have to lightly sand the tips, on the directional contactors. Sounds like sluggish oil flow, or a weak electrical contact. Just some thoughts......
 #622370  by seth4404

When I get a chance to, I will give those suggestions a try. I also replaced the governor from a scrapped SD9, as the previous one had cracked down the side.
 #622377  by DutchRailnut

could it be you got the two oil lines to load regulator reversed ??
 #632188  by BR&P

What happens when you manually operate the layshaft? Does it dig in and pull normally then?

Or, if you have managed to correct it, please share what you found. Good luck.