Railroad Forums 

• New ENd Cab Switchers from EMD?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#590642  by amtrakhogger

mrconductor55 wrote:WHy doesn't EMD make end cab switchers anymore?
1. No demand from the freight RR's. 2. Existing switchers don't see the wear and tear vs.that of road units which means a longer service life. 3. Many freight roads use road units for double duty (yard and road) eliminating the need for end cab switchers (NS is a prime example of this.)
 #590934  by v8interceptor

mrconductor55 wrote:Very well put,

Now that I think of it, I've never seen an NS end cab switcher, I guess they don't exist. RIght now you can still see SW1's from the 1930's in revenue service on Class 2 lines. But does that mean that they will all be gone from revenue service eventually?
I believe that NS does still roster some active SW1500s and MP15s.
There a number of builders offering new or remanufactured low and medium horsepower units for switching, local, and branchline service. EMD is trying to get into this market with their new 8 cylinder 710ECO powered GP22 demonstrators. The newer offerings all are either built on longer frames than an SW/MP locomotive or reuse old 4 axle road power frames. The various Gensets units are good examples of this. They have a short front hood for added collision protection so they don't qualify as end cab units but they are built for the same applications....
 #591063  by amtrakhogger

I will digress a little bit, NS does have end cab switchers but if you pass by Bayview Yard in Baltimore there are none to be seen. All yard and local service is covered by GP38-2's .
 #591163  by mrconductor55

Yeah its the same way here in Chicago. Geep 38-2's With remote control capabilities. You do see some pretty neat SW rebuilds by places like NRE. I saw this SW1200 the other day with a chopped cab, it was being shipped out to Pennsylvania to be used in some factory with low clearence. It looked like a shorter SW14 with slightly rounded off edges.