Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD40 series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#321824  by GOLDEN-ARM

I rode with Doyle again last night. We took a train, to Vancouver, on the UP/BNSF route, from the OE, out of Albany. Doyle states, in no uncertain terms, he owns but three locomotives. One is an Alco RS unit, on lease to the P&W. The second, an original GN F-9, he acquired, in a unique deal, he did some years ago. The third, is the great Alco PA, undergoing restoration, at Brooklyn yard, Portland. The "Maersk" unit was sold, and the proceeds were used, to purchase, and partly refurbish the F unit. The "Maersk" unit, on lease to the A&E, is being used on the P&W, after undergoing repairs, at Albany. The biggest thing we are waiting for, is the "Event-Recorder" that needs to be installed, in the 274, so we can run it on the point, over the UP, at speed.................. :-D (when asked if we were going to get the PA, Doyle stated dryly "It's mine, for looking at. Nobody is going to get their hands on it, as a leased unit, and ruin her") Oh well, at least we got the "NKP" RS unit, for a while........................ :-D
 #321837  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Who designed the Q tron control package for the SD 40? Is Qtron a company or a name assigned to the package by the manufacturer?

#321844  by GOLDEN-ARM

WWW.DOGPILE.COM can be used to look up the rather simple answer. Try typing in "railroad q tron". Regards

#321998  by BlackDog

Q stands for "Quality." Wait, this is CN we are talking about here, disregard.

#322176  by Gilbert B Norman

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:AMTRAK shipped many SDP 40's to EMD to be stripped of parts before they moved to the bone yard on the other side of the IHB.
So long as this material has been moved to the EMD Forum, I guess it is fair game to state the boneyard noted by Mr.Tester was a scrap metal concern, Pilet Brothers Scrap Iron and Metal LP (likely since acquired by other parties) located immediately to the North of the EMD plant.

The facility, along with the railroad equipment being scrapped was quite visible from First Avenue and anyoone exitting the Stevenson Expy (I-55) there.

Along with the SDP-40F carbodies, the subject of this discussion, I can once recall seeing carbodies of Santa Fe Alco PA's "meeting the torch'. That was pre-A-Day and during the late '60's early 70's, when preservation of anything was hardly a front burner issue. Today what would preservation groups think of that!!!

Needless to say, the facility was "uh, not exactly' railfan friendly.

#322392  by MEC407

I believe Q-Tron is made by WABTEC, which is the parent company of MotivePower Industries.

#322696  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Thanks for the Help and knowing what to search made the difference.

I apologize for boring this learned forum with a simple question.

#322950  by GOLDEN-ARM

Boring? Nope. Redundant? Yes.
Asked and answered, topic closed. Thanks.
 #400952  by dash7

hi, i was wondering if anyone knows why some of the sd40s and sd40-2s purchased by bhpio from GETS, Mexico, have recessed radiator fans like the Clyde-Emd sd50s's NRE purchased from Hamersly Iron and some don't?, i think its for the ore dumpers but why only some?and not all? are they restricted to other lines? also do they have modified radiators to cope with the desert heat? thanks :-D dash 7
 #404949  by dash7

Hi, i was probing around on YOU-TUBE lately and typed in SD40-2 and came across HLCX SD40-2 trying to be started in Mississippi in winter and it had fuel tanks simular to the tanks fitted to the EL SD45-2 locomotives (5000 gal for return trips from Chicago to Croxton, NJ) and the air reservoirs were placed in the long hood underneath the radiators and i noticed louvers placed in the same area for airing the aftercooler?(im not real sure)anyways was the piping extruding from the rear of the long hood for cooling purposes? or air pipes from the relocated air reservoirs? and are the air resevoirs placed in the same position on these units? also the other thing i noticed was the hand brake wheel placed at the rear of the long hood same as the CN SD40-2Ws, was there any reason for this relocation of the h/b wheel?thanks :-D dash7
Last edited by dash7 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#405115  by Typewriters

SD-38 had two radiator fans at rear of hood, while SD-40 had three. SD-38 had two exhaust stacks over the engine (fore and aft of dynamic brake fans, if dynamic brake fitted) while SD-40 had one larger exhaust stack just forward of engine.

There can be others but those are guaranteed, as-built.

-Will Davis

#405422  by MEC407

Do you have the link for the video?