Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70 series official thread (EXCEPT for ACe version)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#115579  by Joe

You answered your own question. The only (major, there's also electronics issues) difference is that one is AC traction and one is DC. They have the same horsepower, but different traction ratings. They have the same engine, but I don't remember what it is. I'll let the EMD people answer that one.

#115581  by jg greenwood

Joe wrote:You answered your own question. The only (major, there's also electronics issues) difference is that one is AC traction and one is DC. They have the same horsepower, but different traction ratings. They have the same engine, but I don't remember what it is. I'll let the EMD people answer that one.
SD70MAC: 16-710G3B-EC

#115592  by trainiac

Let's not forget the "aesthetic" differences... The SD70MAC has the SD60-style blower duct on the left behind the cab, while the SD70M has a plain, rectangular duct with battery boxes forming a longer raised walkway. The SD70MAC is also slightly longer (74' vs. 72' 4") and the length is evident behind the radiators.

#115609  by Justin B

I think the SD70MACs delivered to CSX were rated at 4300hp instead of 4000.

#115617  by trainmaster_1

Justin B wrote:I think the SD70MACs delivered to CSX were rated at 4300hp instead of 4000.
Those were the earlier SD70MAC's, the newer SD70MAC's that CSX got is rated at 4,300 HP just like the Alaska SD70MAC's that was tact on, the only difference between the earlier and later SD70MAC's is that the radiator intakes are flat on the earlier models while the later models are flared, just like the 5200 series UP SD70M's before they started testing the new SD70ACe's locomotives that came into production a couple of months after for testing.

#115747  by MR77100

Conrail's SD70MAC's did not have the flared radiators, and that is what made them easily distiguishable from the SD80MAC's. Do all of the SD70MAC's that CSX bought new come with flared radiators?

#115868  by trainiac

Do all of the SD70MAC's that CSX bought new come with flared radiators?
No, I think only the 4700 series have them. CSX has many SD70MAC's (90 I believe) numbered in the 700 series--none of them have flared radiators and only 15 are ex-CR.

#116097  by TerryC

Glad I could help.

keep asking keep learning

#116104  by crazy_nip

only the first order BN SD70MAC's had the non-isolated cab, the rest have the "I" cab

All the CSX and CR SD70MAC's prior to the 2004 order were delivered at 4000 HP and have non-flaired radiators, the ones delivered last year (4701-48xx) have flared radiators, and were delivered at 4300HP
 #116832  by mhomscheidt

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please give me a hint if this is the wrong forum to post into my question.

I'm superdetailing a SD70M (CSX) and try toinstall some lighting effects like ditch lights and cab light. Furthermore I've seen in an photo of an older diesel engine (F7) some truck lights (are they called like this?). It's one light per truck which has been used for maintenance purposes, I think.
Are those lights also used or common on newer diesels? Where are they at an SD70 especially? Has the SD70M other lights installed somewhere which I could install on my H0 model?

Regards
Michael.

#116922  by AmtrakFan

Michael,
You posted it in the right forum. Welcome to the forum. This could help you www.trainweb.org/csxphotos.