Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70 series official thread (EXCEPT for ACe version)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#263202  by jackal

Thanks, cb&q bob. Our locos do not have a/c in them (the a/c was removed to save on maintenance as it doesn't get that hot here, or so management thinks as they sit in their air-conditioned offices...), and so the climate control tab on the FIRE screen only has "vent" and "heat"--which is why I'm so interested in this fresh air make-up blower. If the climate control system (HVAC) is not turned on, does the fresh air blower still operate? I doubt it, as I don't feel any air coming out of the cab vents when the switch is on but the HVAC is off. Just checking, though. Last post here, I promise!

#263382  by cb&q bob

I believe that blower runs whenever the breaker is on but it only draws air in to the compartment under the cab floor where the main blower in the heater or HVAC unit can pick it up and circulate it.
I tried looking in several operator's and maintainance manuals at work and I can find very little information about the blower other than that the breaker supplies power to it. Maybe the locomotive manufacturers dont even know what it's there for! Other than adding cost to the locomotive.

#263702  by GOLDEN-ARM

UPRR said........

"That aint very nice dude. You hate trainmen dont ya buddy? :-D"

Hate trainmen??? How the hell could I work, without them. My only contact on the job, is with the guys on the ground. The point is, trainmen should handle the switches OUTSIDE of the cab............... :P

#267258  by chicagorails

the trouble with the sd50 and 60 kept rrs from buying any more gm, so they ordered ges, almost putting gm out of buisness :(
 #292377  by Matt K Dettman

On the pic people wondered why it isn't CITX. CIT Financial is the name of the company. However according to their website, railway equipment is in a division all it's own. CEFX stands for CIT, Equipment, Finance (leasing), X (non-railroad company).
 #366007  by Tadman

I notice this pic:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=176361

and it is a brand new 2007 locomotive, but it appears EMD has cleaned up the cab and hoods to resemble the older style SD70's. Is this going to be standard practice, or was this a special order situation? I understand the new cabs on the 2006 line was strictly utilitarian, low cost to produce - EMD had to get lean and stand on its own, and if that meant forgetting appealing but expensive design, so be it. I'd like to see EMD succeed as I believe it's the better product. However, I won't complain if they return to the more appealing design.

#366315  by trainiac

The reason it looks like an old-style SD70M is because it is an old-style SD70M. It looks pretty much the same as the UP 5100-5200 series SD70M's. I too prefer the older cab, but I don't think EMD would revert to it on the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe--unless there were a teardrop-windowed version requested by CN.

#368066  by scooter3798

I'll also agree that the older style cab is far more appealing than the new one. In my opinion the new cab on the 70ACe's and M-2's make them look like tanks or something. Couple the design with a paint scheme like the NS horsehead one, and my goodness what an abomination. However is there a reason for the new cab design? I would have to imagine that there is some type of safety reason, but I can't imagine it was that much of an advantage since a number of units (CSX 4700-4800 SD70MAC's come to mind) were built using the older cab after the new cab was introduced. I also find it odd that they would revert back to a non isolated cab on the 70ACe M-2. I no that this has been one of the biggest complaints about the new cab, above notch 4 you can't hear yourself think the thing is so loud. I would really like to see one of the 70ACe's with the old style cab, I think this would make a pretty neat looking loco with those big radiators on the back end. Also, those Brazilian units do look pretty neat.

Scooter

#368123  by UPRR engineer

However is there a reason for the new cab design?
Having a square door out the front lessens the chance of bonking your head. Once you finally get sat down, it feels like theres alot more room up there.

#375030  by trainiac

However is there a reason for the new cab design? I would have to imagine that there is some type of safety reason, but I can't imagine it was that much of an advantage since a number of units (CSX 4700-4800 SD70MAC's come to mind) were built using the older cab after the new cab was introduced.
The new cab design is supposed to be less expensive to manufacture (fewer angles and bevels, rectangular windows) while providing good visibility. How it compares to the old cab in terms of visibility I don't know. I think it was a major mistake to take out the isolated cab--that seems to be the most common complaint regarding the units, and I've heard that some railroads have specifically requested the isolated cab to be brought back.

The new cab was introduced quite a while back on late SD90MAC units but didn't reappear until the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe. No straight SD70M's or SD70MAC's used the new cab, which would explain why the CSX 4700-4800 series has the older cab.

#401167  by dash7

trainiac wrote:
However is there a reason for the new cab design? I would have to imagine that there is some type of safety reason, but I can't imagine it was that much of an advantage since a number of units (CSX 4700-4800 SD70MAC's come to mind) were built using the older cab after the new cab was introduced.
The new cab design is supposed to be less expensive to manufacture (fewer angles and bevels, rectangular windows) while providing good visibility. How it compares to the old cab in terms of visibility I don't know. I think it was a major mistake to take out the isolated cab--that seems to be the most common complaint regarding the units, and I've heard that some railroads have specifically requested the isolated cab to be brought back.

The new cab was introduced quite a while back on late SD90MAC units but didn't reappear until the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe. No straight SD70M's or SD70MAC's used the new cab, which would explain why the CSX 4700-4800 series has the older cab.
hi from what i have read in EXTRA 2200 SOUTH the reason for the change was not mandated by the FRA but complaints that engineers were hitting their mellons on the upper lip door frame even though they are supposed to be more crash worthy as tested in Pueblo,CO another reason was the simpler sheet metal work reducing cost and time during manufacture as well as having windsheilds interchangable with the GE units making it easier i suppose for shop staff to supply and fit on demand,a face only a mother could love i guess? : :(cheers; :-D dash9

#401194  by Peter Radanovic

Why does Brazil still use the 16-710G3C-T1 engine; haven't they put higher Tier requirements into place?

#401434  by uhaul

No Brazil has not. EMD can still sell the SD70M since many nations do not have as strict emission requirements.
 #402154  by deltamfg

I was wondering if anyone out there has a EMD SD70 MAC gear case (OEM# 40023253 Upper, OEM# 40023251 Lower) that we can purchase? You can call 906-233-1500 or respond to this forum. Thanks so much!!