Railroad Forums 

• New 4 axle power from EMD?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#583651  by Jtgshu

There is a very nice full "front page" ad (sort of, the cover folds open) of the September 2008 "Railway Age" for the Repower line by EMD

The left fold has a picture of the V8 710 and lists various bullet points about the motor and why it should be considered instead of "other solutions using unproven technologies".

the other front flap opens up to a full page and a 1/2 of a Green EMD Repower Loco, GP40 sytle (not the GP9 one)

Very snazzy and eye catching, and conveniently enough, there is various articles in this issue about new the EPA requirements for now and in the future and rebuilding existing locos, etc.

A very simple, but catchy ad - hopefully it will pay dividends soon for them!
 #593763  by Jtgshu

Some more "air time" for the Repower line in this months Railway Age

An interesting article on the economies of repowering older locomotives. Most of the article is related to EMD, but there is a few paragraphs on GE's repowering with GEVOs and also an experiment using Caterpillar 3516 prime movers in some SD40-2s

But the EMD discussion is very interesting - it states "we are told that EMD has already sold, or is about to sell a number of these Repower units."

Good news!

It also discusses that this "repower" line was 30 years in the making in that the 710 when being designed was specifically designed to fit where a 645 would fit and it was hoped that RRs would replace the 645 prime movers with 710s when it came time to rebuild them, because of the fuel efficiences and more power output of the 710 compared to the 645. However, because of the relatively cheap fuel prices, RR's chose to rebuild the 645s instead. But now, those numbers are working very well in the Repower lines favor.

A very interesting article in general about breathing new life into old warriors and saving a lot of cash in the process!
 #599657  by tomjohn

Now that it's November 2008, is there any more news of the ECO locomotives,where are they are they being demonstrated?
Anyone know?

Tom S.
 #657149  by Jtgshu

I thought Kansas City Southern purchased like 30 Repowers?
 #683938  by tomjohn

Other than the picture/link was posted are there any further updates on or about these "the new series of environmentally friendly locomotives" from EMD ? I am attempting to model a few of these locomotives in N-SCALE..

Tom
 #692898  by Jtgshu

I noticed on the "gobytrain.us" website, which has a tremendous amount of info about Amtraks loco and car rosters and status, that there is now a passenger ECO Repower!

Amtrak California locomotive 2015

11th July: 710ECO power unit fitted by EMD, early/mid 2009: CDTX2015
11th July: Paint scheme change: Amtrak California (modified) to Amtrak California (modified) with "repower 710ECO" side logos: 2015, June: CDTX2015

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come! My RR is getting a few of its pax geeps rebuilt, but not with Repower units (as far as I know), but maybe they will! Im gonna keep my fingers crossed! haha
 #692902  by MEC407

Interesting. One would assume that since the unit already had a 12-710, they simply replaced it with a new 12-710. Not very radical as far as repowering goes. But at least the new 12-710 will be Tier 2 compliant. (One would also assume that the old 12-710 could have been rebuilt and brought up to Tier 2, but perhaps it had a catastrophic failure and replacing it with a brand new engine was the more economical option...?)
 #692919  by USRailFan

Jtgshu wrote:I noticed on the "gobytrain.us" website
That's damn weird, because the only thing I was able to notice on that site was this:

GoByTrain.us is an unofficial roster data website organized by rail enthusiasts.

Our previous web host, GISOL, made it difficult for us to pay our annual hosting fee.

We handed them the credit card info, and they still didn't process the order before the expiration date.

As a result, we left GISOL and transferred to VERIO.

We'll be back online shortly!
 #692923  by RickRackstop

MEC407 wrote:Interesting. One would assume that since the unit already had a 12-710, they simply replaced it with a new 12-710. Not very radical as far as repowering goes. But at least the new 12-710 will be Tier 2 compliant. (One would also assume that the old 12-710 could have been rebuilt and brought up to Tier 2, but perhaps it had a catastrophic failure and replacing it with a brand new engine was the more economical option...?)
Since EMD is in the business of building new engines and California is in the business of throwing money at "green" projects they could have replaced the whole thing or save a lot of money and rebuild with upgraded components. Really major engine failure repairs are the provence of marine operators such as connecting rod leaks and so forth. I think I'll start a new post on that subject alone. It looks like even 645's can be brought up to tier 2 with various combination of parts.
 #693003  by Jtgshu

USRailFan wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:I noticed on the "gobytrain.us" website
That's damn weird, because the only thing I was able to notice on that site was this:

GoByTrain.us is an unofficial roster data website organized by rail enthusiasts.

Our previous web host, GISOL, made it difficult for us to pay our annual hosting fee.

We handed them the credit card info, and they still didn't process the order before the expiration date.

As a result, we left GISOL and transferred to VERIO.

We'll be back online shortly!
hey look at that, my fault, i saw the "gobytrain" website in the title not thinking that the actual address might be differnet

here ya go :)

http://members.trainorders.com/geoff_s/ ... html#calif
 #697204  by Steve F45

if NJT was to intall one of these new 12cyl eco engines into a gp40ph-2. Could the engine run on its current setup without modifications? I mean no addition of computers and such or are computers needed for the upgrade?
 #697223  by MEC407

I'm fairly certain that computers are necessary in order for the engine to meet the current emissions requirements. The computers also help to improve fuel economy and adhesion.