Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#360851  by trainiac

That sounds good for EMD. Who's been ordering these units? The online searches I've done haven't revealed anthing really recent.

#360968  by Steve F45

How fast does EMD produce a locomotive? On the discovery channel last week there was a show called "really big things" and they were at the GE plant in Erie,PA. They host asked how long from frame to fully operating loco and the guy said 3 days, work was done on a 24hr basis.

#378234  by n01jd1

trainiac wrote:That sounds good for EMD. Who's been ordering these units? The online searches I've done haven't revealed anthing really recent.
I think that someone is being overly optimistic as no US railroads have any orders for EMD's All US orders for locomotives are for more GE's. I hate to say this but I think EMD is going to go the same way as ALCO.

#378967  by Bryanjones

n01jd1 wrote:
trainiac wrote:That sounds good for EMD. Who's been ordering these units? The online searches I've done haven't revealed anthing really recent.
I think that someone is being overly optimistic as no US railroads have any orders for EMD's All US orders for locomotives are for more GE's. I hate to say this but I think EMD is going to go the same way as ALCO.
No US roads have orders for EMD units? You need to do some homework before making such a statement. EMD is currently building a 100 unit order of SD70ACe's for UP and also has 2 KCS SD70ACe orders for 100 units total and there are still 50 additional CN SD70M-2's on order for this year. While they may not have as many locomotives on order as GE, the fact is that EMD does not have the same physical capacity as GE but EMD's order books are booked solid through early 2008. 2008 is going to be another fine year as well, as BNSF is coming back for 200 SD70ACe's which will start delivery in January or Febuary. Additional units for UP and KCS are quite likely as well. Like it or not, EMD is here to stay.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#379169  by junction tower

It makes you wonder what would have happened if EMD had not bulldozed all that capacity at LaGrange. Granted, LaGrange probably was TOO BIG, but it seems pretty clear that London is TOO SMALL. That brings up another point; What costs EMD more: The nicely shaped curves on the SD70M cab, or shipping prime movers from LaGrange to London?

#379367  by Herr Spreng

Perhaps the more important question is this: Does EMD, based upon a smaller volume, have larger per-unit margins than GE ?

#382176  by calaisbranch

Is it just me, or did the SD70ACe kind of sputter before taking off? When CSX picked up their first batch, it made a lot of press. Supposedly they were going to be the next "big thing" on the Boston Line in particular.

Sure, we've seen them on a few leads and such, but GE AC6000s, AC4400s and EMD SD70ACs and Ms have totally dominated in the last few years. The newer GEVOs are also taking hold. Good to see the '70ACes are getting some orders on other roads.

Never thought I'd come to the day when I'd be psyched to catch a particular widecab on a particular RR, but I actually do get a little excited when I catch an SD70ACe on a lead over the B&A. They, at least the CSX ones, have pretty nice horns as well.

#382574  by junction tower

I just read that Bombardier will be assembling 100 ACe's in Mexico due to lack of capacity at London. Sort of proves the point I was making.

#382774  by Nelson Bay

Press Release Source: Bombardier Transportation

Bombardier Awarded Contract to Assemble 100 Locomotives for Electro-Motive Diesel
Tuesday April 3, 9:00 am ET

BERLIN, GERMANY--(MARKET WIRE)--Apr 3, 2007 -- Bombardier Transportation announced today that it has concluded a framework agreement with Electro-Motive Diesel Inc. (EMD) to assemble an initial order of 100 SD70ACe EMD locomotives. Valued at approximately 50 million euros ($67 million US) the contract calls for fabrication of sub-parts and assembly of the locomotives at Bombardier's production facility in Sahagun, Mexico.
ADVERTISEMENT

Commenting on the agreement, William Spurr, President, Bombardier Transportation, North America, said: "This framework agreement is a demonstration of our world-class manufacturing capabilities, and our expertise in delivering high-quality products to the North American market. We are proud to continue our long term relationship with EMD."

Since 1998, Bombardier's Sahagun facility has produced more than 1,100 locomotives for EMD. Deliveries are scheduled to begin by mid-June 2007 and will take place until the end of 2007.

#385000  by Sam Damon

My source said, "See, I told you so..."

This is the same source who indicated to me that GE was having reliability issues with the GEVO engine over the long-term. He attributed these issues to GE hiring a bunch of German engineers to design the 12-cylinder engine, and asserted GE had some ways to go in bringing up the long-term reliability.

Furthermore, this source claimed the reliability of EMD's electrical bits was now exceeding that of GE's, thanks to a recent move away from Siemens kit, and towards Japanese-manufactured kit.

Again, this source is EMD-centric, and I have no way to independently verify this. I'll leave it to the community to determine how reliable this info is.

#385733  by Steve F45

Someone posted pictures online of 2 more unpainted UP units heading south for paint.
 #386876  by Pilbara Rail

All ten of the second order for SD70ACe/LC units with isolated or whisper cabs are in the process of being fitted out and run up and commissioned by EDI at Nelson Point, Port Hedland Australia for BHPBilliton Iron Ore.

These units arrived off one shipment aboard the Jumbo Vision, which berthed on the 1st of April and had finished unloading by the afternoon of the 4th of April.

Numbers and dates from the sticker plates are:

4314, 20058712-001, 08-2006.
4315, 20058712-002, 10-2006.
4316, 20058712-003, 11-2006.
4317, 20058712-004, 11-2006.
4318, 20058712-005, 11-2006.
4319, 20058712-006, 11-2006.
4320, 20058712-007, 11-2006.
4321, 20058712-008, 11-2006.
4322, 20058712-009, 11-2006.
4323, 20058712-010, 11-2006.

4314 was the unit sent to Pueblo for testing of the new cab.

#388889  by SOU2645

There is only one thing on ANY of the new power thats worth a damn - the air conditioner. GEVO's and the new EMD's are all pretty sorry. The GEVO's are quiet but have the crappiest dynamic brakes GE has yet used (Dash 8/9's have dynamics better than anything else out there). The EMD's are noisy and poorly laid out as far as the controls and breakers go - and they arent all that reliable - same goes for the GEVO's. Honestly...I wish Toyota would build locomotives. If I could have new power as reliable as the 3 Toyota's I have owned I'd be set as an engineer.
Larry

#396090  by Engineer Spike

I think that the SD70-2 is poorly set up too. I liked the old version better. Half of the circuit brakers and the battery switch are in the hood, instead of the cab. The carbody is cheaper too, with thinner sheet metal. The platform is too short for the length of the long hood. One has to step over open space of stairwells to go to the next unit. I alao think that the control stand is too busy. The controls ar not in their conventional locations. It takes getting used to find the head light dimmer (vs. fear headlight, or whatever else has the typical EMD rotary switch)
They now have air start (Shades of Alco). I had a problem with the air brake computer. A reboot would not do. I was told to shut down the unit, pull the battery switch, and drain main reservoir. The starter tank did not hold it's air. Now we had to get another unit, couple MR hoses, and charge air.

On the positive side, they, and the GEVO both respond like any old SD40, not slow like the GE -9 and AC44.
 #400931  by dash7

Hi guys,i know that BHPIO in Western Australia have ordered sd70ace/lc (low clearance) with tier 2 specs and angled widscreen ala Canadian National sd70i's and dash 9-44cw. they also have extra cores added to the radiators to cope with the 110 degree heat nearly all year round,they also have special sheilds that fold up in front of the windscreens when mid train to stop "sand blasting" the glass from stray iron ore dust when running short hood forward and the second order have the whisper cabs fitted as well as microwaves, hotplate,cd player,in cab signaling and gps tracking and as well as of coarse a/c .there are images and specs on www.emdiesel.com thanks, :wink: dash7