Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#14471  by Edmund

They are nice looking. I hope it works out for EMD.

#20535  by BNSF9838

Hello everyone Im new to this site.
First id like to say, I did indeed see my very first CSXT EMD SD70ACe come through blair,ne on 5/15/04.
Second I think that the locomotive looks very nice.
And most of all it will be a new step in railroad history.
The Question is what will happen to the current SD70MAC's on the BNSF?
Will thay stay as the current EMD SD70MAC locomotives? :(

#20628  by GEVO

Current locomotives will not have to be updated. The new Tier 2 rules apply only to new locomotives built for class 1 railroads starting Jan 1, 2005. The older versions can still be manufactured for smaller lines as well as export.
 #22421  by Railpac

It was my understanding that the SD70ACe was not to go into production until December 31, 2004. If that is so, then what is the deal with these supposed CSX "SD70ACe's"? Also, does anyone know if there are any orders for the SD70M-2, or any plans to build demonstrator SD70M-2's?
 #22857  by Allen Hazen

I *believe* that the 20 SD70ACe going to CSX are not counted as production, but as "pre-production," test/demonstrator units, and that they will be owned by EMD for at least an initial period: analogous to the GEVO units on UP, BNSF, and NS.

#37766  by MR77100

Obviously NS will place orders for the SD70M-2 because they don't like AC units. Are there any DC models being tested right now?

#37770  by Railpac

That is of course if NS decides to purchase EMD products over GE (I hope they do :wink: ). Currently, there are no DC versions of the SD70ACe (SD70M-2) in testing, but I am eagerly waiting to see what they will look like.

#44529  by MR77100

Obviously the SD70M-2, (yes SD70DCe would be more appropriate), is being built for Norfolk Southern because NS does not like AC units for some reason. Anyone know why?

#44561  by MEC407

MR77100 wrote:Obviously the SD70M-2, (yes SD70DCe would be more appropriate), is being built for Norfolk Southern because NS does not like AC units for some reason. Anyone know why?
The folks at NS believe that the added expense of AC is not justified by the benefits it provides.

#47481  by mp15ac

As for why EMD isn't testing any SD70DCe/SD70M-2, that's probably because the only significant change for the DC drive model is the prime mover. On the AC units, there is also the factor of the new invertors (as mentioned before).

And would some please tell EMD to go back to the previous cab style. That Phase 2 cab is so ugly!

Stuart
 #47494  by BNSF SD70MAC

I don't understand why thay didn't call it an EMD SD95MACe :( .
BNSFrailfan.

#47513  by Joe

I don't understand why they built it all :-D . It's just so big, heavy, ugly, and it doesn't seem to be going well with railroads, except for CSX. :wink:

#48804  by trainiac

The SD70ACe hasn't started production yet--AFAIK the CSX units are pre-production samples. That's probably why there aren't too many railroads operating them :wink:

#48941  by Joe

They're still big, ugly, and heavy. :-D