Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#400937  by dash7

hi guys ,if you want any specs on the sd70ace/lc the best prson to talk to would be Toad montgommery at pilbara rail.com.au. this guys website is excelent to say the least! and he did'nt mind answering my questions to! thanks :-D dash7

#401078  by USRailFan

Punctuation is just sooooooooooooo over-rated. And links to not-existing websites is the funniest thing ever - give us more of that!

#401084  by dash7

USRailFan wrote:Punctuation is just sooooooooooooo over-rated. And links to not-existing websites is the funniest thing ever - give us more of that!
sorry about that !!!! :( cheers dash7

#416876  by Pilbara Rail

Dash 7,

Our units don't have 'in-cab' signalling, that is Pilbara Rail.
We use an ATP control system over a conventional CTC network along with Lcootrol or DP as it's now called.
And the windows are the standard style for the SD70ACe. The AC's had the tear drop window style.

One of the selling points was in-fact the two air-conditioning units fitted.

The second order 4314 to 4323 and the third and any future orders will/do have the isolated or 'Whisper Cab'. The only units so far fitted with such. Hence 4314 being sent for testing.

I'm not aware of the radiator being modified, I was under the impression that it is a standard unit fitted.

Pilbara Rail's new EVO units will have such mods and will be on a 76 foot frame, along the lines of BHP's AC6000. And they will be the largest US export GE's built.

Cheers,
Toad Montgomery.

#450518  by 10more years

I had a 4837 recently along with a CW44AC. I wondered what was the logic of putting the circuit breakers and battery switch away from the cab, too.
But, the main problem was that the thing was so dang loud. Just the sound of the bell ringing would drive someone bonkers. It sounded like it was ringing right under the control stand inside the cab. Considering how quiet some of the "whisper cabs" are, (I've had several that you couldn't hear the horn from inside the cab. You had to open the window to be sure that it worked.) I'm amazed that EMD would try to sell it and that CSX would buy it. On second thought, maybe that is a reach. I thought that the bell cut-off was in an awkward spot, just under the horn. And like most wide-bodies, the air conditioner blows right on my feet and legs. But, it was a good running and pulling engine.

#453018  by NV290

EMD is now putting the Whisper Cab feature on the SD70ACe's. Yes, they are LOUD. The loudest wide body i ever ran. When i first started running them i kept getting up to see if a door was open somewhere or a seal was missing. Your just not used to being in a new widebody that is that loud. The current SD70MAC's i think are the quietest. GE makes a real quiet cab, but that annoying 4 cycle "chugging" sound is impossible to get rid of. An SD70MAC with the windows closed on good rail is about as quiet as most cars even in notch 7 or 8. I love them.

#453044  by Engineer Spike

I have always been a Chevy fan, when it comes to locomotives. I have to say that I like the new GE ES series better than the new 70-2 / 70ace. The GEs load like an EMD, vs. pre ES series. The Return to the AAR control stand is good too. The GE layout is better. EMD seems to have switches everywhere, in no particular order. Why couldn't they have done what they have always done in the past?
I am not a fan of the electrical cabinet either. I know that they had to redesign the carbody to accomidate the new cooling system, for the new emissions standards. Why couldn't they have left the electrical cabinet as it was? It has been about the same since the GP30. I also don't like the fact that the hood is too long for the length of the walkways. If I have to go back to a trailing unit, I have to step across a large void of the stairs. This is not safe in the dark. Other units do not have the stair wells right in the middle of walkways. There is room to walk around them.
On the up side, I took 3200t up a 1.86% grade alone, at 13mph. My other unit turned into a pumpkin enroute (92 day inspection).

#453063  by GOLDEN-ARM

I would say, that since the Operating Manual for these locomotives states that "operating personell must not enter the electrical compartment while locomotive is in motion", and since most AB&TH manuals also prevent operating personell from making repairs, or adjustments to moving equipment, you probably should stop first. Some of those doors are interlocked, and won't open unless loco is isolated, and some models won't open if loco is moving. WARNING signs on the door also indicate you can't go inside, unless loco is isolated, and secured. Just some thoughts.......

#453069  by conrail_engineer

The problem here is that EMD today has one set of ideas of how a locomotive should be used; and CSX an entirely different set. And enforced by micromanagement rules.

We're now expected to isolate locomotives, shut down the prime mover, and then kill all circuits and THEN pull the knife switch when leaving a locomotive unattended. Shortcuts, such as just killing the engine and pulling down the knife switch, are viewed as chargeable violations.

And CSX's maintenance "program" frequently has US making do with problems and flaws. Tripped breakers are not uncommon; and as long as the power works when it enters a terminal, it's not repaired.

No matter how lengthy the writeup on CSX's huge maintenance logs. Or how many times you call the Mechanical Desk.

It's bound to end in conflict, the EMD setup and the New Railroad needs and expectations. EMD had better go looking for the guys who used to do designs and set standards, who aren't there anymore...

...or they may not have customers.
 #511824  by prakash

Folks,

I returned after visit to Diesel Loco Works
(DLW) in India that makes SD70ACe with
Transfer of Technology from EMD and Siemens.
Few questions.

1) SD70ACe use IGBT by Mitsubishi and not
Siemens. Is it correct?
2) TMs are made at EMD plant in Canada based
on joint design by Siemens and EMD.
3) SIBAS-32 is still used in SD70ACe.
4) Any known issues with SD70ACe or SD70MAC TM
rotors brazing? DLW received TMs from Siemens
plant in India and they report higher than
average rate of failure due to rotor brazing
issues.

Your input will be appreciated. I have no
business relationship with EMD, DLW or
Siemens.

Regards,

Prakash

#512982  by QuietGuy

1) SD70ACe use IGBT by Mitsubishi and not Siemens. Is it correct?
Yes EMD switched to IGBT due to lower cost.

2) TMs are made at EMD plant in Canada based on joint design by Siemens and EMD. Yes.

3) SIBAS-32 is still used in SD70ACe.
I am not current with this, but there were several possible alternatives being considered (prototype testing) not too long ago. They might already be in newer locomotives.

4) Any known issues with SD70ACe or SD70MAC TM rotors brazing? DLW received TMs from Siemens plant in India and they report higher than average rate of failure due to rotor brazing issues.
I never heard of this problem in North America. This sounds like a start-up quality problem that occurs in new production cycles.

#513040  by bogieman

With the SD70ACe, EMD essentially cut ties with Siemens for any parts of that model. The inverters are Mitsubishi IGBT's as noted above. The traction motor is a new EMD design created for the SD70ACe, and the SD70ACe uses the EM2000 computer system to control the inverter as well as the rest of the locomotive, as it always has.

Each Siemens inverter for the SD70MAC and the GT46MAC/PAC includes a Sibas-16 for inverter control within the inverter box. The EM2000 locomotive control computer in those models basically tells the Sibas what to do. The only EMD locomotives to use a Sibas for overall locomotive control are the 4 SD60MAC demonstrators - that is a primary reason EMD still owns them and keeps them at the Transportation Test Center in Pueblo as they nave no desire to support those units in

Dave
 #517152  by NS D9-40C

Hey guys,got some questions regarding the SD70ACe.

How reliable is the ACe ?

Compared to the ES44AC,which is more reliable ?

I know that most crews dislike the ACe due to crew comfort and cab layout issues(especially true with the older runs..),but for this thread I would like to know you people's opinion on its reliability and technology.

Regards,John Doe

#517293  by GOLDEN-ARM

Welcome to the Forum. We have multiple threads regarding the SD-70 already. Feel free to ask about them there, and be sure to try the search feature. It works great!!! We'll call this one done. <<<click>>> :wink:

#524424  by Sam Damon

QuietGuy wrote:1) SD70ACe use IGBT by Mitsubishi and not Siemens. Is it correct?
Yes EMD switched to IGBT due to lower cost.
I am told it is not only lower cost -- but Siemens did not want to share some engineering information EMD needed to increase reliability.

Mitsubishi didn't care. So a deal was made, and now EMD now uses IGBTs from Mitsubishi. It is my understanding these and other changes have made the electrical bits of the ACes more reliable than their GE counterparts.