Railroad Forums 

• 567 Prime Mover

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#461549  by BronxBomber

Can someone direct me to pictures of a 567 Prime Mover. I have the Walthers kit and I'd like to detail it with further (plumbing). Also what color where the prototypes when they left the manufacturer? Thanks

#461581  by Phil Hom

I have been told the Walthers model is a B, A, or blank block. The round covers on the PM started with the C block.

Here's a photo from a Google search for 567B. It is on Preston Cook's article.

#461741  by GOLDEN-ARM

#461799  by BronxBomber

RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!....Thanks Phil, Thanks Golden-arm.

#461993  by uhaul

This article made me realize a few things.
http://www.rypn.org/RyPN/articles/viewa ... 215551.txt
567 powered diesels in renevue service are going to become rare in the next (years?) decades. Southern Pacific was having trouble getting 567 parts and that was in the 1990s so I wonder how BNSF is keeping its 567 diesels operating?

#462371  by MEC407

On the Class I roads in particular, a lot (perhaps most?) of their 567-powered units have received substantial upgrades, including certain upgrades that allow the 567s to use a variety of 645 replacement parts. The aforementioned RyPN article explains this somewhat.

#462443  by mxdata

And the rest of it is explained in the applicable EMD modernization recommendations which also provide the complete parts lists for the upgrades. I believe it is MI-9547 for domestic locomotives.

#468612  by twolfe

Locating parts for a 567A (F3a and NW2) has been a challenge but in the marine industry, they are still popular and complete power assemblies can still be had.
The biggest challenge to date has been confirming "change-up" part numbers.

"T"

#468704  by Nelson Bay

The parts are the same on an EMD power assembly for a given engine model, a marine or rail application doesn't change anything.

What's a "change-up" part number?
 #633379  by ex Budd man

Looking at the pics of 567s it is interesting to note that freight engines had painted air box covers whereas Es had chorme plated covers. I wonder if this was simply for display or not.
 #633439  by RickRackstop

THERE IS NO PART NUMBER FOR CHROME PLATED HAND HOLE COVERS BUT THE COAST GUARD HAD SOME PLATED IN BELLINGHAM, WASHINGTON FOR ONE OF THEIR CUTTERS IN 1990. THEY ALSO GOT THE TOP DECK COVERS PLATED ALSO. IN MOST MARINE UNITS WITH ALUMINUM TOP DECK COVERS THE ENGINEER STRIPS OFF THE PAINT AND POLISHES THEM UP BUT ALL PLATING IS DONE BY THE OWNER AT A LOCAL SHOP.
 #635702  by Nova55

Its interesting to see that places in the RR side have trouble finding parts for engines that are still in active service in the marine side. Ive come across suppliers that still stock stuff for Alco 539s and 244s right up to 645s, Cleveland's and Fairbank's.

Oh, the Fireboat John D. McKean has chromed valve covers and the Fire Fighter has these cool chrome fuel lines...