Railroad Forums 

• 710 parts in a 645?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#440577  by Jtgshu

I was having a discussion with one my fellow engineers and we were discussing our "newest" and "finest" passenger locomotive - the PL42ac. For those who don't know, the locomotive is built by Alstom, but has EMD internals - namely a 710 V16 putting out 4200hp.

We were discussing the future of the current fleet of passenger GP40s. And I said, boy, if they could only put the 710 with all its power in the GP40 - along with the seats of the PL42 :-) niiiiiiiice - that would be the PERFECT locomotive!!! the visibility of a Geep (the PL42 is a wide body loco) the "normal" control stand, not a smooth controller with no notches that the PL42 has, and a normal air brake system, not the electronic EPIC brakes.

But anyway, it got me thinking - they often swap out 567 power assemblies for 645 assemblies. could the same be done with a 710? Could a GP40 be modified with 710 power assemblies to produce more power??? I know the main generator is the limiting feature with the amount of power it can output, but could it be done never the less?

#440578  by DutchRailnut

no the 710 power assemblies have a bigger bore and does not fit in a 645 block, besides it does not matter how big the engine is if the generator only puts out a certain amount.
Its like having a real big outboard motor and a 4" propeller.

As for placing a 710 engine and generator in a GP40 it still would need total upgrade of higher capacity cables, reverser, power contactors , traction motors, radiators etc, a locomotive's design is as a package, you can't just change any component.

#441110  by MEC407

Basically what you're asking for is a "GP70PH" :-D

But even if EMD did build such a thing, they'd probably have to use the "M" cab (widecab) due to current collision protection standards -- thus negating some of the classic "geep" visibility you prefer. :(
 #441304  by rfederle

I could be wrong but I believe the 710 has the same diameter bore (9 1/16") but the stroke is an inch longer so interchangability is still out. I believe some accessories are interchangable but not many. I think the water pumps may be swapped but I'm not sure. No power assemblies though. Turbo is larger also.

Robert Federle

#473068  by tomjohn

Would anyone have drawings of such a locomotive ? If so I would like to see them ..

Tom

#473119  by MEC407

tomjohn wrote:Would anyone have drawings of such a locomotive ? If so I would like to see them ..
Which locomotive are you referring to?