Railroad Forums 

• New locomotives for GO Transit

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#410794  by MEC407

Press release with photos:

http://www.gotransit.com/PUBLIC/news/me ... otives.htm

Should be interesting to see where their current fleet ends up once it has been replaced by the new units.

#410837  by c604.

According to this statement: "and door controls for the entire train" will the engineer actually be able to open and close the doors of the train or is it just an indicator to show when the doors are closed?

I read the two following statements:

"In 1978,GO transit introduced the
bi-level passenger railcar to North Ameria"

Already done 28 years earlier in Chicago. They are probably talking about the bi/tri-level design though.

"GO Transit will run the longest commuter trains in North America.
With two more railcars, each 12-car train"

Also already done in Chicago on Metra's BNSF line. They were running 12 car Union Station-Naperville express trains for a while.

#410857  by DutchRailnut

The Chicago cars are not bi-level, as a Gallery car they do not have a second floor but two galleries..
The Bi-level was introduced by GO and just as the rest of the world they are Bi-levels and not multi or tri levels,as the service level door area is not counted, your insinuation that rest of world is wrong in this designation, but US is right is flat out appalling.

#410944  by c604.

Wow Dutch take it easy there fella. I’m not quite sure what you are trying to rope me into with that statement of yours but insinuating that US terminology is better than the rest of the world wasn’t what I was referring to.

I'm from Chicago and the gallery cars here have always been locally known also as bi-level cars. Case in point, go to the Metra forum and there you will see a thread titled “BILEVEL assignments and maintenance changes.” It’s a habit that has been around for years. But if you would like to correct the forum members there and call them US bias and flat out appalling as well, I’m sure the users there will be just as happy to hear your abrasive and uncalled for comment as I have been. I have very limited exposure to the GO type cars. Hence my statement "They are probably talking about the bi/tri-level design though." and that is why I also put bi SLASH tri to show that I did not know either way. But thanks for the clarification and I wish you luck in your continuing efforts to defend something you believe so strongly in, just make sure you are pouncing on the right people.

#411207  by Allen Hazen

I remember the Long Island having cars, back in the 1950s, that I think we CALLED double-deckers. They weren't even gallery style: there was a single aisle down the middle from which you stepped up or down to alternate compartments. (Hmm... Maybe the design was inspired by slumbercoach design?) Where do they fit in the history of these things?

#411226  by DutchRailnut

C604 you are one pointing at everyting wrong in the news clipping I just try to correct and educate you, as for Chicagoans calling things , yes the public calls them bi-levels but then you have balls to call that stuff you eat a Pizza too. oops was I abrasive again ?

#411272  by MEC407

I have to agree with Dutch on the pizza remark! :wink:

#411465  by Peter Radanovic

Those locomotives are from Boise, if I am recalling right.
From the back, those things look like a tank, but I do not like the front end one bit!
Actually, I like the boxy look of the F59PH allot.

#411469  by DutchRailnut

looks is not everything in railroading, functionality is andd how protective features are hidden in a design. Railroads don't give a Hoot how it looks as long as it functions and as long as it keeps lawyers of their ass.