Railroad Forums 

• E8A's for sale?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#362992  by E-44

A while back I saw some ex-PRR/NJT/MARC E8A's (numbered as MARC 60-62 and MARC 61 labeled as former PRR 5793A and MARC 62 as PRR 5905) on the DF Barnhardt site. Anyone know what became of these units?

#371127  by FL9AC

if you check the site again, they are still listed as "for sale".

#371143  by E-44

I saw that, but it seemed out of date so I wasn't sure. Some guys I know have been talking about wanting to chip in and make like Bennett Levin - repaint them in PRR livery, the whole bit.

Seems like these units were properly equipped to be able to run on the NEC and on other lines around NJ/PA/NY.

Personally, I'd rather figure out how to come up with replacment transformers for the old PPR electric motors, but that's another thread.

Thanks, FL9

#371267  by EDM5970

Again, the biggest problem with returning a GG-1 to service is not the transformers, but the running gear. The trucks and frames are now close to 65 or 70 years old, and they were deteriorating toward the end of their service for Amtrak and NJ Transit. If they were too costly to keep going perhaps 20 years ago, think of what the costs would be like now.

#371283  by FL9AC

Those E units are in pretty good condition since they were rebuilt not too long ago. They need some T.L.C, but I'm sure they would be fairly easy to restore and would make a beautiful head end. :-D

#372816  by E-44

EDM5970 wrote:Again, the biggest problem with returning a GG-1 to service is not the transformers, but the running gear. The trucks and frames are now close to 65 or 70 years old, and they were deteriorating toward the end of their service for Amtrak and NJ Transit. If they were too costly to keep going perhaps 20 years ago, think of what the costs would be like now.
To restore completely and run on a regular basis, the cracked frames and truck problems would be problematic, although I'd bet a couple of units could be cobbled together from the best of the various static displays - at least good enough for the occasional fan excursion at slow speeds. I understand that the quill drives have held up remarkably well and motors are, well, motors. Still seems like restoring or replacing the electric power components would be the issue. I have been told this is so for Steamtown's E-44 which is much newer and otherwise in good shape.

Sorry, I got this moving OT for this forum.

#372818  by E-44

FL9AC wrote:Those E units are in pretty good condition since they were rebuilt not too long ago. They need some T.L.C, but I'm sure they would be fairly easy to restore and would make a beautiful head end. :-D
Left messages with Barnhardt. My friends seem serious about making this happen. I wonder if MARC owns these or if they were just leased.

#373345  by FL9AC

I believe they are ex-marc. Now it's probably owned by the brokerage firm.