Railroad Forums 

• "B" hood unit survivors....any?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#345551  by u25b

Does anyone know whether any survivors exist of EMD's B hood units? They had GP7B, GP9B, GP30B,SD24B and DD35. Now I know the DD35s are gone but is there an example left of one or some of the others? I would love to see one preserved-perhaps an ex PRR GP9B alongside the ex PRR GP9 at the RRMoPa would be great(dreaming!!!). Seriously though, an example preserved somewhere seems like a good idea-first we need to locate one.

Any thoughts?

Wes

#345704  by USRailFan

BNSF still have GP7B/GP9Bs I think. No idea tho, if they were originally delivered as B-units, or have been rebuilt as such later, following wrecks (like their GP38-2B, SD40-2B, SD45B and SD45-2Bs).

#345733  by SOU2645

The only surviving factory built B unit roadswitchers are BNSF's ex ATSF GP60B's. All others are extinct. Most of ATSF's GP7B's were rebuilt with cabs as GP9U's and some UP GP9B's became ICG GP10's. Also several UP SD24B's became ICG SD20's - all with cabs added.
Larry

#345734  by pablo

Aren't there a couple of those B-unit GE's around? I know a few years ago I saw a string on them at Altoona, but I didn't know if they got cut down for Green Goats and the like. Did I see that the P&W had one or two? Anyone?

I know they aren't EMD's...and maybe they aren't around anyway...

So my last dumb addition is this: isn't there one in a museum someplace, perhaps in Canada? I could have sworn we had a threda here that dealt with this some time ago.

Dave Becker

#345745  by octr202

I thought that the RR Museum of PA might have a PRR Geep B unit, but that's just a guess.

The GE B-units (some at least) are running on the Providence & Worcester.

#346165  by PRRGuy

I'm pretty sure that all the PRR GP-B's units are all scrapped. I don't know of any museum that has any. Check the Penn Central board for that websites of PRR survivors.