Railroad Forums 

• D29 Traction Motor ?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#329557  by deltamfg

If anyone has any information on the D29 traction motor would be greatly appreciated. (gear ratio, locomotives it fits, etc) Thanks again to anyone that has information or can point me in the right direction to get the information. :wink:
 #329567  by ExEMDLOCOTester

deltamfg wrote:If anyone has any information on the D29 traction motor would be greatly appreciated. (gear ratio, locomotives it fits, etc) Thanks again to anyone that has information or can point me in the right direction to get the information. :wink:
Go to Google and type in D29 traction motor and a wealth of info will follow. It is a narrow gauge motor that EMD utilized on export locomotives.
 #329596  by deltamfg

Thanks for the suggestion to go to Google but I have searched the web inside and out. But the information that I am looking for I can't find.
 #329600  by ExEMDLOCOTester

deltamfg wrote:Thanks for the suggestion to go to Google but I have searched the web inside and out. But the information that I am looking for I can't find.
Part of my path to locomotive test was through generator / motor test and all I can tell you is that it is a skinny motor, interchangable with D31 Armatures, and has a higher coil & bar to bar resistance than a D77 or D87. Thats all I know about the little critters.

Sorry :(

#329601  by UPRR engineer

Give them a call
----------------------
Inquiries should be directed to our Headquarters in LaGrange, IL.

Electro-Motive Diesel, Inc.
ATTN: Customer Service
9301 West 55th Street
LaGrange, IL 60625

Tel: +1 (800) 255-5355
Fax: +1 (708) 387-6626

#329642  by pugsley720

In the last few years I was with Motor Coils, we started to rebuild some narrow gauge motors, mostly D29 and D31, along with a few GE 761's if I recall correctly. Its been over six years since I left for new career challenges, so the memories are getting a bit faded, but from what I recall, D29 traction motors were, as stated above, simply EMD's narrow gauge motor. An analogy would be that the D29 was EMD's narrow gauge version of a D77, although the armature windings and field coils were vastly different. To continue the analogy, a D31 motor bears a resemblence to a D87 in the fields, although the coils are much smaller, and as others stated, the armatures are interchangable, although there are insulation and bearing upgrades in the D31 from the D29, just as there are often only insulation and bearing upgrades between the standard gauge EMD traction motors, such as a D67 to a D77.

In both, the windings are much smaller, both in size of the finished coil and the conductor, with more turns per field coil than a D77 or D87. Armatures are of a different coil design, without equalizer coils in the windings.

Don't really recall much more than that, you could check the sites of GE, EMD themselves, or Swiger Coil Systems.
 #329662  by UPRR engineer

deltamfg wrote:If anyone has any information on the D29 traction motor would be greatly appreciated. (gear ratio, locomotives it fits, etc).....
To better feed my curiosity, why do want to know dude?

:-D I always think the worst, something like your building a diesel tractor lawnmower from spare locomotive parts.

#329936  by deltamfg

Check out our website we manufacture gear cases, pilot plows, wear plates, etc for the rail industry. I am researching to get information for the D29 traction motor. And by the way I am not a dude! HAHA! :wink:

#329953  by bengt

A D29 motor and a standard guage, 1435 mm, wheelset. The D29 is about one metric ton lighter than a standard guage motor.
 #329957  by ExEMDLOCOTester

UPRR engineer wrote:
deltamfg wrote:If anyone has any information on the D29 traction motor would be greatly appreciated. (gear ratio, locomotives it fits, etc).....
To better feed my curiosity, why do want to know dude?

:-D I always think the worst, something like your building a diesel tractor lawnmower from spare locomotive parts.
:-D :-D :-D An SD lawn mower would need 10+ acres to turn around..... :-D :-D :-D
deltamfg wrote:Check out our website we manufacture gear cases, pilot plows, wear plates, etc for the rail industry. I am researching to get information for the D29 traction motor. And by the way I am not a dude! HAHA!
Preston Cook may have a contact at LaGrange that may help you find what you need. That is if EMD is no longer rebuilding D29's or D31"s..... :wink:

#329958  by ExEMDLOCOTester

bengt wrote:Image

A D29 motor and a standard guage, 1435 mm, wheelset. The D29 is about one metric ton lighter than a standard guage motor.
Yep... thats the beast....

#330548  by UPRR engineer

deltamfg wrote: And by the way I am not a dude! HAHA! :wink:
:-D ........OOPS. Sorry, "Dudette" :P