Railroad Forums 

• What's this? I can't show a picture!!!

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#329080  by ljeppson

Observed at the North Yard-SLC-south throat: something which from a distance looked like the RG heritage unit "EMDX1001 BHPBILLITON Iron Ore" accompanied by EMD test car ET820. Looked brutish and colorful. It was not in a lash-up, was towing several double-stacks. I didn't have time to investigate.

#329099  by UPRR engineer

When it came threw GR yesterday it was on a rail train.

#329104  by metman499

I believe BHP is an Aussie railroad. Maybe they are testing an export unit?

#329109  by ExEMDLOCOTester

UPRR engineer wrote:When it came threw GR yesterday it was on a rail train.
What is "GR"?

#329113  by UPRR engineer

Green River Wyoming Dude, unit had a funky camo paint job in green and orange.

#329147  by Nelson Bay

BHP is an iron ore mining mining operation in the NW part of Australia. Their mines are located in what is called the Pilbara Region. BHP operates their own RR. The locomotive you saw is part of a 14 unit SD70ACE/lr order from EMD. This model is a low clearance version of the EMD SD70AC. The units will be the first EMD AC's operating in the region. The locomotives are powered by 16-710 engines, traction horsepower is 4300.

#329173  by ljeppson

Many thanks.

#329273  by Phil Hom

It's in the current issue of Trains Magazine.

#329587  by ExEMDLOCOTester

UPRR engineer wrote:Green River Wyoming Dude, unit had a funky camo paint job in green and orange.
Your a bit west of me on I-80.

Only 1 set of tracks going through town?

#329589  by UPRR engineer

Double tracked mainlines, theres four main tracks that run threw town. (The ones closest to the depot in the picture)

#329602  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Looks like a nice cozy town! I'll take a closer look on Windows Live tomorrow !

Have a good night!

#329861  by Bryanjones

Nelson Bay wrote:BHP is an iron ore mining mining operation in the NW part of Australia. Their mines are located in what is called the Pilbara Region. BHP operates their own RR. The locomotive you saw is part of a 14 unit SD70ACE/lr order from EMD. This model is a low clearance version of the EMD SD70AC. The units will be the first EMD AC's operating in the region. The locomotives are powered by 16-710 engines, traction horsepower is 4300.
actually this unit, EMDX #1001, is from the second order of BHP SD70ACe's for 10 units. The initial 14 unit order was already delivered and in service. The second order differs from the first in that the units are equiped with the Isolated cab, which was previously discontinued from the SD70ACe and SD70M-2 models, this the BHP units will be the first such units equiped. This unit was built ahead of the rest of the units so that it could undergo testing and it has been testing at the AAR test track recently. It is currently on BNSF with the EMD test car.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#329922  by Engineer James

Wow, Interesting paint job...... especially for an ore road.