Railroad Forums 

• E.M.C. MODEL 40

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#311703  by LJ

Hello, the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum of North Judson, In. has a E.M.C. MODEL 40 that they would like to restore to operation in the future. The little critter was last used by Calumet Steel Co. of Calumet, Il. When the museum got it, it was in a very derlict condition. One of their members is currently trying to restore it back to operation. So far we have one of the motors running on it and got one of the traction motors to operate on it. Anyone out there know anything about these little monsters? I sure would like to hear something. Or where i can find parts for it.
 #311729  by SSW9389

LJ good luck on finding parts for this unique locomotive as there were only 11 built. The Model 40s were built between 8/40 and 4/43. Only the first one, the demonstrator was built by EMC, the other 10 by EMD. The locomotive was equipped with a pair of Detroit Diesel 6-71s, each driving a single traction motor. Diesel data from A J Kristopans and DSG 2.

LJ we are practically neighbors, I live on the east side of Louisville near the Ford Truck Plant.

Ed
LJ wrote:Hello, the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum of North Judson, In. has a E.M.C. MODEL 40 that they would like to restore to operation in the future. The little critter was last used by Calumet Steel Co. of Calumet, Il. When the museum got it, it was in a very derlict condition. One of their members is currently trying to restore it back to operation. So far we have one of the motors running on it and got one of the traction motors to operate on it. Anyone out there know anything about these little monsters? I sure would like to hear something. Or where i can find parts for it.

#311742  by SSW9389

The Diesel Shop has the ex-Calumet Steel Model 40 as being one of the U S Army units built in 8/42. No disposition data found on LocoNotes, anyone have a citation on this one?

#311838  by GOLDEN-ARM

For pictures, and info, on the diminutive Model 40, see this great site.......

http://yardlimit.railfan.net/emd/model40/
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

#311860  by Jtgshu

Wow, that really is a great site!!!!

What an amazing story! Those fellas were so far ahead of their time, its incredible!

#312067  by mxdata

From the time of the introduction of the Detroit Diesel 6-71, Electro-Motive used them in a number of applications including auxiliary power generators on streamlined trains. EMD was also the packaging agency for the engine in quad marine skid mountings, so the Model 40 was really not too strange a product if you take a look at the total scope of what they were doing with the Detroit Diesels. Parts for the 6-71 engines are still readily available, and you can find a lot of them listed on eBay.

#312225  by BR&P

There is one of those things in need of a home. The last I heard a potential preservation deal fell through and it was in danger of getting the torch. If anybody has the capability and resources to handle this say so, and I'll make some inquiries. I don't want to step on any toes if those previous efforts are finally getting somewhere, but on the other hand it would be a shame to see it cut up.