Railroad Forums 

• Marketed but never sold EMD types

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#278356  by scharnhorst

2005Vdub wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:How about these odd ball units that were only built in a small number but neveer grew to anything higher in the locomotive markit? Were these just expairaments befor the next stage of locomotives came out or were they a spicific model requested by that railroad at that time?

BL20-2 1 built
SD40-2SS 5 built
SD45X 7 built
SD60MAC 4 built
F69PH-AC 2 built
GM6 1 built
GM10 1 built
any pics of the sd40-2ss,sd45x, and f69ph-ac?? I tried railpics.net and found neither. what were the differences between a regular sd4-2 and sd40-2ss and the sd45x?
info and photos can be seen in the Contemporary Diesel Spotter's Guide 2ed edition.

SD40-2SS appeared in 1978 as a test of the Super Series electrical system in 6 motor units. Burlington Northen 7049-7053 were the only such units built. The units have a larger alternator but noexternal diffrences in the locomotive. The successor to this was its wheelslip control system which was used later in the production of the "50" and "60" models (GP50, SD50, SD60 ect.)

The SD45X
was the pioneer of the Dash 2 modifications, especially the HT-C Truck it to rode on an SDP45 Frame. 6 were baught by Southern Pacific and were the only units to have a 4500 h.p. motor insted of the normal 3600h.p. motos found in SD45's. a 7yh SD45X remains on EMD Property as a test bed.

the F69PH-AC was a joint venture between EMD/DD and Siemens. The units used an AC Traction equipment under licensing from Siemens and used the last of the F40PHM-2 Carbodys. Both units did a tour on Amtrak in full livery befor being overhauled and sent to Germany for a test run there. Both units were in storage as of Late 1994 and remain property of EMD/DD and Siemens.

#278393  by SOU2645

[
SD40-2SS appeared in 1978 as a test of the Super Series electrical system in 6 motor units. Burlington Northen 7049-7053 were the only such units built. UP also had a similar set of these units. 3805-3808 were classed as SD40-2S

The SD45X
was the pioneer of the Dash 2 modifications, especially the HT-C Truck it to rode on an SDP45 Frame. 6 were baught by Southern Pacific and were the only units to have a 4500 h.p. motor insted of the normal 3600h.p. motos found in SD45's. a 7yh SD45X remains on EMD Property as a test bed.

These were the prototypes for the rumored SD55. And none survive. EMDX 5740 was scrapped at VMV several years ago.

the F69PH-AC was a joint venture between EMD/DD and Siemens. The units used an AC Traction equipment under licensing from Siemens and used the last of the F40PHM-2 Carbodys. Both units did a tour on Amtrak in full livery befor being overhauled and sent to Germany for a test run there. Both units were in storage as of Late 1994 and remain property of EMD/DD and Siemens.[/quote]

They have been sold to NRE and are stored in poor condition at Mt Vernon IL

Larry

#278974  by USRailFan

Does anyone know whether EMD kept marketing the SD45-2/SD45T-2 even after 1974-75 (when the last of the type were delivered) and if so for how long?

#279260  by scharnhorst

SOU2645 wrote:[
SD40-2SS appeared in 1978 as a test of the Super Series electrical system in 6 motor units. Burlington Northen 7049-7053 were the only such units built. UP also had a similar set of these units. 3805-3808 were classed as SD40-2S

The SD45X

These were the prototypes for the rumored SD55. And none survive. EMDX 5740 was scrapped at VMV several years ago.

the F69PH-AC was a joint venture between EMD/DD and Siemens. The units used an AC Traction equipment under licensing from Siemens and used the last of the F40PHM-2 Carbodys. Both units did a tour on Amtrak in full livery befor being overhauled and sent to Germany for a test run there. Both units were in storage as of Late 1994 and remain property of EMD/DD and Siemens.
They have been sold to NRE and are stored in poor condition at Mt Vernon IL

Larry[/quote]

thanks for the update as the book that I have tells nothing more as to where they went or what happened after they came and went for the books.

#306048  by Tadman

Suggestion: If you want pics of the F69, look for pics of the german ICE trainset that toured here - it made a national tour with the F69's painted in matching white/red stripe as power outside of NEC.

Try this: http://www.railimages.com/gallery/album363

Or: look for pics of the Metra F40PHM - it has the same carbody. Imagine that in Phase III and you're there visually.

#306113  by deezlfan

Speaking of odd-balls, EMD modified a SD type locomotive with a 4 axle HTBB truck for testing on BN. While it was not built as a seperate model, it certainly would have stood out in a crowd.

#306465  by MEC407

scharnhorst wrote: BL20-2 1 built
That is incorrect. Three BL20-2s were built.

#306823  by SSW9389

A BN SDP45 was equipped with a pair of four axle trucks for testing. The rear C truck was removed and the pair of B trucks was substituted. I saw it running out in Arizona on the Santa Fe. :wink:
deezlfan wrote:Speaking of odd-balls, EMD modified a SD type locomotive with a 4 axle HTBB truck for testing on BN. While it was not built as a seperate model, it certainly would have stood out in a crowd.

#307084  by scharnhorst

SSW9389 wrote:A BN SDP45 was equipped with a pair of four axle trucks for testing. The rear C truck was removed and the pair of B trucks was substituted. I saw it running out in Arizona on the Santa Fe. :wink:
deezlfan wrote:Speaking of odd-balls, EMD modified a SD type locomotive with a 4 axle HTBB truck for testing on BN. While it was not built as a seperate model, it certainly would have stood out in a crowd.
I rember seeing something about it in the Diesal spotters guide about this unit. I do not beleve the expairament worked out.

#307156  by ExEMDLOCOTester

scharnhorst wrote:
SSW9389 wrote:A BN SDP45 was equipped with a pair of four axle trucks for testing. The rear C truck was removed and the pair of B trucks was substituted. I saw it running out in Arizona on the Santa Fe. :wink:
I rember seeing something about it in the Diesal spotters guide about this unit. I do not beleve the expairament worked out.
I have a pic of the unit but currently do not have a way to scan it. The Articulating truck was tested on EMD property on the tightest radius track and switched so each truck was on a different track (this operation has a name I don't remember it). The trucks were built at a Rockwell plant in Kansas City. It's nice to know its still pulling freight.

#307394  by Bryanjones

[
I have a pic of the unit but currently do not have a way to scan it. The Articulating truck was tested on EMD property on the tightest radius track and switched so each truck was on a different track (this operation has a name I don't remember it). The trucks were built at a Rockwell plant in Kansas City. It's nice to know its still pulling freight.[/quote]

the unit which tested this special truck, BN SDP45 #6599, was placed in storage and retired shortly after testing was concluded. The experimental truck was returned to EMD and the locomotive was sold to a dealer. The hulk was last reported being present at the NRE facility in Mount Vernon,Illinois. Its been well over 15 years, closer to 20, since this unit last pulled any freight.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#307624  by ExEMDLOCOTester

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote: I have a pic of the unit but currently do not have a way to scan it. The Articulating truck was tested on EMD property on the tightest radius track and switched so each truck was on a different track (this operation has a name I don't remember it). The trucks were built at a Rockwell plant in Kansas City. It's nice to know its still pulling freight.
Bryanjones wrote: the unit which tested this special truck, BN SDP45 #6599, was placed in storage and retired shortly after testing was concluded. The experimental truck was returned to EMD and the locomotive was sold to a dealer. The hulk was last reported being present at the NRE facility in Mount Vernon,Illinois. Its been well over 15 years, closer to 20, since this unit last pulled any freight.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
SSW9389 wrote:A BN SDP45 was equipped with a pair of four axle trucks for testing. The rear C truck was removed and the pair of B trucks was substituted. I saw it running out in Arizona on the Santa Fe.
I assumed SSW9389 was writing about a recent sighting.... I will post the pic ASAP :-D

#307633  by TheChessieCatLives

I know that of at least one, maybe two, BN SD45's that had a seven axle arrangement. Maybe it was built like that to see of the possibility of larger horsepower per axle so that they could get trains over the Cascades easier.

#307724  by Phil Hom

This was EMD's first testing of s steerable truck. A pair of three motor flexicoil truck was modified by removing one set of wheels from each truck and connecting them together. BN took part of the test under field condition (real world testing).

Only one unit was ever tested.