Railroad Forums 

• DEDM30's

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#132134  by AmtrakPhill629

Are they going to build DE/DM30's again? LIRR is the only railroad with these units.

#132161  by AmtrakFan

Doubt it.

#132250  by Phil Hom

What other agency has a performance requirements such as these LIRR units (which were mandated that they must be finished in NY State).

I'll bet no one else would want these units after their service life as commute power are over.

EMDiesel's goal is to beat GE Erie!!

#132483  by Ol' Loco Guy

1) They don't meet current FRA crashworthy stds.

2) They have more stainless steel in them than any customer (other than LIRR) would be willing to pay for.

3) They were essentially an exercise in custom building that one would suspect EMD diesel will stay away from.

4) I wouldn't be surprised that if a customer wanted EMD Diesel powered passenger locos-they will be purchasing them through ALSTOM.
 #132626  by Allen Hazen

Do you know WHY the LIRR wanted so much stainless steel? Just aesthetics, or was there some structural reason (the DE/DM-30 carbody is unusual in lots of ways!)?

#144782  by AmtrakPhill629

Will a DE/DM be built again? Without stainless steel?
 #144991  by n01jd1

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Are they going to build DE/DM30's again? LIRR is the only railroad with these units.
I doubt it since the DE30's have been so much trouble. Also, it would appear that EMD has exited the passenger locomotive business.

#145336  by Nasadowsk

You'll never see any more DE/DMs. As for stainless? Hey guys, the LIRR *is* on an island! The GP-38s, etc looked pretty rough after 20 years of service. Stainless doesn't rot away as fast - and anyway, pretty much everything the MTA buys is stainless anyway...